suspension gremlins

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I'd have reservations about doing that on that particular linkage - I've found if the cup which connects to the spring assembly end is not able to tilt freely with suspension movement it forces it to jump off.

I tried putting a tiny o-ring under the edge of the cup (in place of the felt washer) and although it worked fine on test every time I went for a drive on a country road the sudden suspension movements would cause it to pop off... :(

I imagine a build up of hardened road gunk could do the same thing, which is what the felt washers are there for. (To keep dirt out of the joint, but be soft enough not to prevent it tilting)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
deian

Post by deian »

more brainstorming me thinks, how about some kind of flexible putty... like the windows sealing type stuff? or something harder? gluier?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

deian wrote:more brainstorming me thinks, how about some kind of flexible putty... like the windows sealing type stuff? or something harder? gluier?
At less than £2 for a new part, I hardly see the great idea with a brainstorm on how to repair this :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote:
deian wrote:more brainstorming me thinks, how about some kind of flexible putty... like the windows sealing type stuff? or something harder? gluier?
At less than £2 for a new part, I hardly see the great idea with a brainstorm on how to repair this :roll:
If you check back you'll see he already got a new plastic clip but that its also quite loose. Unless you're saying a new rollbar clamp is less than £2 ?

Personally I don't see how it could be too loose though unless the steel ball has been eaten away by severe rusting... :? I would be inclined to just fit the new plastic clip and see how it goes.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
deian

Post by deian »

The ball joint is very orange (rust) and has worn down too much (due to living in the uk where the road are salty, and I live close to the sea which hardly helps), when the old one was off I tried popping the new one on to see if it fits, it popped on just as easily as the old one.

So does this mean a new Height Corrector or can i buy a more seperate part of the hc which has the ball joint on it?

Thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Or remove the old ones and replace with a new link made up with rose joints.

http://www.autosport-bearings.co.uk/sph ... arings.htm
jeremy
deian

Post by deian »

job done now... it was me, i actually did press hard enough on the clip to clip it on, i do believe it should still be harder to clip on, anyway, it's clipped on now and i put two cable ties behind the top of where the ball joint is and a cable tie around the two cable ties and over the clip just in case it snaps off again... the ride is now a little better, less crashy in the back, so i may get a clip for the front one (if i can find it), there must have been play in the clips causing incorrect height... as mandrake (simon) pointed out

thanks guys