Xantia Key Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andy
My Cars:

Xantia Key Problem

Post by Andy »

My key wont open or lock any doors, first it wouldnt open drivers door, now gradually it wont work on anything but the ignition, this is fin as long as the blip works.
I went to main dealer for new key, they said that I would be wasting my time and money, as it would be the barrels that had gone,
I left the dealers thinking I needed new barrells, I since thought about it and it seems that it would be a hell of a coincidence for ALL barrells to go inc boot and alarm switch under hood, especially since the boot would only have been unlocked with the key on rare occasions, any ideas anyone or where can I get a Key,
Andy
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the key you have just now will probably be quite worn,if you got a new key from a dealer cut by number that may not work either as the tumblers wear down in the barrels as well as the key.usually both end up needing repaced.new key in old barrel or old key in new barrel dont usually work together.the boot & alarm switch barrels will have hardly worn.ask the parts department,if its the original locks just give them the chassis number they'll order a key from that.
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

andy,
I had a similar problem with my 185000 miler Xantia a few months ago.
New keys from dealer worked a treat about £9 each.I did not need to change door barrels.
I had to change the steering barrel as a result of another problem with the heater fan.
Edward Lakin
My Cars:

Post by Edward Lakin »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andy</i>

My key wont open or lock any doors, first it wouldnt open drivers door, now gradually it wont work on anything but the ignition, this is fin as long as the blip works.
I went to main dealer for new key, they said that I would be wasting my time and money, as it would be the barrels that had gone,
I left the dealers thinking I needed new barrells, I since thought about it and it seems that it would be a hell of a coincidence for ALL barrells to go inc boot and alarm switch under hood, especially since the boot would only have been unlocked with the key on rare occasions, any ideas anyone or where can I get a Key,
Andy

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andy</i>

it seems that it would be a hell of a coincidence for ALL barrells to go inc boot and alarm switch under hood, especially since the boot would only have been unlocked with the key on rare occasions, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I assume you usually open the doors with the plip as well which leaves the ignition as the only place the key <b>will</b> have been used which kind of backs up the dealer. The ignition will have worn along with your key and that is why it is the only thing working.
The only way to find out if the dealer is telling the truth is to get a new key made up. You will likely find out, as I did that a new key works in the doors but not the ignition. That would be a lot cheaper than getting a second plip or having to break in if the plip fails.