1.9TD auto clutch adjustment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MickyA
My Cars:

1.9TD auto clutch adjustment

Post by MickyA »

My 1998 Synergie 1.9TD has recently become a bit sticky when slipping into gear. I went to adjust the clutch cable but it's fitted with the self adjusting type. There appears to be a fair bit of slack in the cable so I suspect the auto adjust isn't working. Does anyone have any experience of the auto adjust mechanism or suggestions about how I can sort this. Incidentally, I can't locate a Haynes manual for the Synergie, has anyone out there managed to source a Synergie manual?

Thanks

Micky
M Anderson
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have not tried it on a citroen but i know someone who used to adjust me**o self adjusting cables up by getting hold of the cable one hand each side of the adjuster,which is built into the cable and just stretch the outer part of it
regards malcolm
MickyA
My Cars:

Post by MickyA »

Thanks for the reply Citronut but the self adjust mechanism appears to be at the bulkhead end of the cable. I read an old post where Dave Burns recommended pulling hard on the cable so I'll try this but I'm really not sure how the self adjuster actually works so I'm not clear what I'm trying to achieve with this. Does anyone know how the adjuster works? As this is a pull type clutch, am I right in assuming that difficulty disengaging the clutch doesn't indicate that the clutch itself is excessively worn?

Hope this makes sense.

Micky
M Anderson
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its the same type of cable as the XM has, there is a spring around the outer cable which lengthens it thus pulling the inner cable tight. When you first fit the cable the spring is tied up short so that when you have fitted it you release the spring and it takes the slack up so far and then is locked automatically in position by a ratchet. If you pull very hard on the cable it damages the ratchet so it wont adjust at all, every time you put you foot on the clutch it just shortens the outer cable. The ratchet normally allows just enough slack but will go up another notch should the pedal travel increase. It sounds as though yours is u/s. You can take up the slack if you can slip something in under the end of the cable the clutch end, a suitably size nut with a slot cut in the side so you can slip over the cable might suit.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is usualy a sign the clutch is on its last legs,but the idea of pulling the cable is to lengthen the outter cable so as to give you more travel at the clutch fork,so it might disengadge the clutch a bit further to allow to gears in a bit smoother
regards malcolm