Xantia TD M reg Rev counter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

todfowler

Xantia TD M reg Rev counter

Post by todfowler »

Help, ive got a rev counter that does not work, ive replaced the sensor as suggested by others but still no luck what does anyone suggest I try next.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

That's surprising, 9 times out of ten its the sensor. or rather the connector to it. Is the 2 pin connector in good condition? If thats OK it can only be a faulty rev counter or a fault in the wiring. As far as I know there are no other joins apart from where the sensor is connected to the loom on the end of the cylinder head, the other end of which goes direct to the instrument. The only other possibility is that there is no 12 volt supply on the rev counter.
todfowler

Rev counter

Post by todfowler »

Thanks ill have a look at the plug and if no luck ill get another rev counter
Once again thanks for help
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You should be able to get some form of reading from the sensor plug when the engine is running. try a low a/c voltage - although it may well be DC. You should also test the sensor for continuity - ie a resistance setting.

Its possible that one of the infamous Citroen dodgy connections are the problem - worth checking the relevant parts of the dashboard - ie edge plugs and connections to the meter on the dash.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

...it will be an a/c current but varying in frequency, but as Jeremy says check the resistance across the plug it should be pretty low, probably less than 100 ohms.
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

On the same subject ...........

The one on my N Reg. Xantia has recently started playing up - works most of the time but drops out occasionally.
I've checked the white plug and socket and all the contacts were pristine so I'm guessing that it's possibly a supply problem behind the dash. There is obviously a problem of some kind as the driving lights indicators (side/dip/main) also tend to go intermittent from time to time. Somewhat worrying is that there does not appear to be any correlation - the tacho. can be working when the indicators are not and vice versa.
Anyone else had a similar problem ?

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I left my lights on this week and completely drained my battery.. even had to set the date and time/radio code when I had charged the battery. However, the rev counter needle was stuck at the 6.0 o'clock position and refused to budge all week... till today when I noticed it was operating properly, I would be interested in any opinion as to why it happened in the first place and why it 'fixed itself'.

Cheers
Ian
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Try feeding a LOW (say 3-6V or so) AC signal into the 'instrument' end of the sensor connector. If you don't then get a reading of some sort, further 'downstream' investigation is needed.