Sphere Types

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Jeremy

You couldn't 'hurl' it anywhere, at a ton + and about 60 bhp it didn't have the go. But I take your point, it was a proper car, rear wheel drive. I never had the nerve to hurl cars about, in the days before main road speed limits I would always loose 'comparison tests' with my mates due to being scared of cornering that fast!

My first front wheel drive was an CX Safari DTR that gave a superb ride although not as soft at low speeds as the Oxford probably due to the cross ply tyres. The ride of the CX was better than the XM or anything else that I have driven since but it still had excellent handling, this I am sure was due to the steering knuckle assembly being dead centre of the wheels and the Diravi steering, it handled like a seventeen foot Mini! and if you held the steering wheel straight the car would go straight. It did roll a bit but for me that was a small price to pay for the comfort.

Sorry, but I just have this preoccupation with comfort!

Peter.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Slim,

If your remarks regarding ex-spurts were aimed at me, then you did mean to offend and I was.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

:-({|=
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I've fitted 'comfort' sphere's to all of my Xantia's (which is quite a few now) after bumping into the proprietor of possibly the most well known sphere recharging company in the UK whilst on holiday and listening to his advice on Citroen Hydraulics. Before meeting him I'd never heard or considered such a thing as comfort sphere's. Is he an expert? Possibly.

As has already been stated on this post, when new car's are set up they are given settings which the manufacturer believes will meet with potential owner expectations i.e. firm suspension is necessary in order to 'feel' the road. This does not mean that that setting offers the best compromise between comfort and road holding, its just done that way in order to sell more cars which will in turn give a larger profit for the manufacturer.

A prime example of this practice is the spring found under the brake pedal on a Xantia. Why else would it be there other than to 'soften' the feel of the brakes after complaints from potential owners on test drives. Does adding this spring actually offer any benefits to braking or safety? Quite the reverse and that's on a safety issue :shock: !

One other point to bear in mind is that some of the opinions offered by the posters state that "I've tried using softer sphere's on my Xantia, but the car felt unstable and caused it to oscillate". These very same posters are also regularly posting about the drama's/problems there are having with their own Xantia's due the hydraulic system on their car basically being worn out, so it doesn't surprise me at all that softer sphere's made their cars feel sloppy. It doesn't on mine :D
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Slim,

No need for violins. I was offended by your rudeness, not by your childish attempts at humour.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Oops! PMT alert!!! \:D/
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
icedfusion

Post by icedfusion »

andmcit wrote:What spec/trim is your HDi?

There are two different types of design for the front/rear spheres on this
model Xantia. The Exclusive top-of-the-range model has a system where
there are 4 corner spheres you can see and 2 central spheres, one buried
under the rear floor and 1 beside the end of the front radiator; then there's
the wider spread of model range covering the LX/SX/Temptation/Desire
which only have the corner spheres.

You WILL need to know which type your car uses as there is a fundamental
difference in what you'll get from GSF.

Andrew
This seems to be an odd thing for me to try and determine.......
Looking at the car i have 3 spheres at the back and 3 at the front. I do not have a sports mode option in my cabin, so i assume i do not have the hydractive option.

My log book states that the car is the 2.0HDI Forte - but the label on the back of the car is 2.0HDILX. When looking at the model of the cars i have seen either the 2.0HDILX or the 2.0HDI Forte - I have no idea what the difference between them is.

Is there a way to be certain what model car i have, apart from going to a dealer and giving them my VIN and paying for the privilege of them telling me.

Citroen dealer quoted me 174 quid to change 2 rear spheres!!!! Fekkin daylight robbery.

Thanks for pointers.

ice.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

If you go to your Citroen Dealer and tell them your Registration No. they can confirm in seconds the details about your vehicles spec.... for free!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Your car definately runs with the non Hydractive spheres.

The 3 that you can see at the back are the corner ones and the anti sink system central one which I ommited from my last description :oops: - the hydractive system has yet another again at the back.

GSF will be your best bet with each sphere costing around 20quid:

N45304 ACCUMULATOR SPHERE XANTIA ACCUMULATOR 19.50

N45332 SPHERE-FRONT XANTIA 1.8 16v/1.9TD/2.0/HDI NON Hydractive 19.50

N45332A SPHERE-FRONT GEN CITROEN XANTIA 1.8 16v/1.9TD/2.0/HDI NON Hydractive 32.00

N45366 SPHERE-REAR XANTIA 1.816V/1.9TD/2.0/HDI 19.50

N45372 ANTISINK SPHERE-REAR XANTIA ANTI SINK (EXC ACTIVA)

Andrew