Whistling turbo on XM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doc
My Cars:

Whistling turbo on XM

Post by Doc »

Almost forgot. There seems to be a loud whistling noise from the turbo when I accelerate and a reluctance for the car to rev over 3000 rpm in third. I know that most diesels hate revs but as this is my first Citroen I wonder if there is anyone out there who has experienced this problem on this model. It has the 2088cc turbo diesel engine. The car isn't burning oil (done 91000 miles) and there is no sign of white smoke when working the engine.
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Doc,
Hello mate, i might be talking total crap here but anyway, here goes! This sounds like a problem i once had with a Nissan Bluebird turbo my dad used to own. It was showing the exact same symptoms, it would not rev past 3000rpm and was making a strange sound. On having a look, i found that the wastegate on the turbocharger was seized solid (hence the boost pressure was way too high) and this excess pressure was being relieved from a release valve on the inlet manifold so that the engine did not destroy itself. So you can see this is why it would not rev any further at this point. The point to all my waffling is that maybe the XM/TD has something similar, i'm not sure as i have a Xantia HDi. I would just have a good look around for anything like it and check the wastgate is free to operate (should move with firm hand pressure.)
Well, hope this may be of some help, let us know how you get on!
Regards, Rich.
broome
My Cars:

Post by broome »

I suspect wastegate too - however the overboost light should come on if its a BX turbo D
PaulB
paulb
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Doc,
Hello mate, i might be talking total crap here but anyway, here goes! This sounds like a problem i once had with a Nissan Bluebird turbo my dad used to own. It was showing the exact same symptoms, it would not rev past 3000rpm and was making a strange sound. On having a look, i found that the wastegate on the turbocharger was seized solid (hence the boost pressure was way too high) and this excess pressure was being relieved from a release valve on the inlet manifold so that the engine did not destroy itself. So you can see this is why it would not rev any further at this point. The point to all my waffling is that maybe the XM/TD has something similar, i'm not sure as i have a Xantia HDi. I would just have a good look around for anything like it and check the wastgate is free to operate (should move with firm hand pressure.)
Well, hope this may be of some help, let us know how you get on!
Regards, Rich.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

I had a good look at all the inlet air trunking to and from the air to air intercooler and discovered a large split in the short rubber trunking that links the inlet manifold with the rigid tube that covers the diesel pump/injectors etc. The split is right along the mould line of the tube. I have had to repair it using a piece of thick rubber and silicone sealant as my local dealer is closed for xmas.
Thinking about it, if the wastegate is jammed the hose splitting may be the only way out for the excess air. Due to lack of space I cannot see if the manifold has an excess pressure run off valve.
Many thanks for the advice.
Doc