dodgy compressor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

dodgy compressor

Post by john alexander »

Hi there, last week i replaced my aux belt and tensioners , xantia 1.9 td 1996 but have noticed the noise I thought was the idler is really the air con compressor. It screeches like metal to metal when I start the car, this lasts about a minute then quietens down .The belt gets hot but the a/c still works .answers please on a stamped addressed compressor. Ps just noticed a famous vodka maker is running a competition. Win the life of a czar. Somehow having a mad monk sleeping with my wife and being shot in a cellar in Ekatrinaberg doesn't seem much of a prize .! but then maybe thats just me. regards john.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the belt is getting hot it sounds as though it is slipping on the pulley.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When the air con is off, the pulley on the compressor is just an idler, so it has no reason to slip UNLESS the bearing is causing friction...

I've replaced a bearing on a Delphi / Harrison compressor, both the Sanden and Delphi use non standard bearings, there is a post somewhere or other on here about my replacing it....

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=19794

Enjoy.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi kowalski , I've read you post on replacing the bearing and very good it was. I had alooked at mine and there is so much rust in the middle of the hub you cant see a nut . I also cant have the car off the road for too long. regards john.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

There might not actually be a nut at all.

There are two different types of clutch on the Sanden compressor (I'm not sure whether the Harrison has both types of nut), one has a nut the other does not. They both require "special" tools to remove, the ones with nuts need a puller which screws into the clutch and has a bolt screw into it to pop it off (like mine), the other type need a proper puller, which looks much harder to make.

I have a manual for the Sanden SD7, in fact its on the net....

http://www.sanden.com/support/pdf/sd7servicemanual.pdf

The Harrison compressor similar, they're not identical but they seem to be put together in the same way and work in the same way too :)

Check this thread for a photo of a Harrison compressor (a photo of part of it at least, access isn't easy), and whatever you do, if the label on the compressor is dirty, be careful how you clean it because the part number is very easy to clean off it....
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=20107