XM V6 24V Starting Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Languidic
My Cars:

XM V6 24V Starting Problem

Post by Languidic »

<font face='Tahoma'>To say that I have had a few problems with my XM V6 24 valve would be one of the understatements of the year! I purchased the car (new) in March 1991. At one point, the Technical Director of Citroen UK and I were on first name terms. (and a few others besides)
The car has done 80,000 miles, although it had a NEW ENGINE at 46,000! The problem with starting has now been ongoing for 2 years. The car always starts first time when the engine is cold. There are never any problems when the engine is running. I often drive between Scotland and France, stopping only for fuel and the ferry. The problem arises when the engine is hot (at least 30 minutes driving). If I stop for 10 minutes or less, the car will start OK. If I stop for 15 minutes to 45 minutes. It will often not start until I have let the engine cool down completely. (approx 1 hour) Sometimes, it will sound as if it is trying to start (firing on 1 or 2 cylinders), and with a bit of coaxing, may get there eventually. Once re-started there are never any running problems. The engine always turns over, when trying to start, without the slightest problem.
I have changed the spark plugs, HT leads, and distributor cap & arm.
</font id='Tahoma'>
RASCAM
My Cars:

Post by RASCAM »

Hello,
I had exactly the same problem with one of my CX 2.5's (single sensor)and tried all sorts, checked connectors etc. and then a friend said change the flywheel sensor which I did and no more problems.
I'll have a look at one of the 3.0 12V I have here and measure the cold resistance and post it.
Regards Richard
Languidic
My Cars:

Post by Languidic »

<font face='Arial'>Thanks Richard. I will certainly look into that.
Len.</font id='Arial'>