Xantia faults.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dean
My Cars:

Xantia faults.

Post by Dean »

Hi all,
I have a 'W' reg 2.0 16v auto xantia with a few irritating problems,Engine cooling fans are running all the time (When engine running that is)there is what I can only describe as a 'scraping' noise from the drivers side of the engine on tickover and where the heck do I check the oil level on the box?
Any help gratefully received.
Dean.
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Engine cooling fans are running all the time (When engine running that is)

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Is your aircon switched on? That will cause the fans to be permanently on. If so, try switching it off.
Jamie
Dean
My Cars:

Post by Dean »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Engine cooling fans are running all the time (When engine running that is)

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Is your aircon switched on? That will cause the fans to be permanently on. If so, try switching it off.
Jamie

Hi Jamie,
Aircon is off - temp control in car is set to 22 degrees+ which if I read the owners handbook right means the aircon will not operate anyway.
Any other Ideas?
Dean.
marco1
My Cars:

Post by marco1 »

gearbox level is front nearside wheel off,also arch cover if fitted big nut about 13 mm, rest are about 10 mm both fill and level.fans??not sure maybe duff senders .
Dean
My Cars:

Post by Dean »

I'll have a look for this nut later, but don't most autos have a dipstick for level checks?
dean.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Scraping noise would worry me, possibly a loose cambelt or duff tensioner?
ZX D
XM V6 Sei
err... and a Vauxhall.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Dean,
I would imagine that the dipstick would have to be down the rear of the engine but more to the passengers side due to transmission location. A decent spotlight could be the order of the day.
On a CX c-matic, (and manual for that matter) they managed to find a spot that was almost under the crossmember and had to be accessed by going behind the crossmember & then sliding your hand in the grease & oil along the top of the transmission to find it. This was also the most convenient place to refill & top up the box from also, so don't be surprised if it's in a difficult spot.
The scraping noise does sound as though it could be a belt, in which case it should be able to be heard when the vehicle is stationary with the engine running. As has been suggested, it could be a cambelt which if so, pushing at the face of the cambelt cover should cause a change in the noise. It has been known for cambelts to scrape the cover which can be caused by the cover not being retained by its clips correctly but also as has been suggested, by a loose belt or faulty tensioner; something that needs checking.
If the noise is just when the car is on the move, then check driveshafts firstly for rubbing on inner guards, hoses or wires as well as engine mounts that could be allowing these to run in lower than normal positions if collapsed. Also exhausts becoming internally blocked & which can tend at times to make noises much like a scraping sound.
Alan S