Regulator Cycles Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davetd
My Cars:

Regulator Cycles Xantia

Post by davetd »

Morning People

How many times a minute should a healthy regulator do it's thing and should it be a quick click or a drawn out woosh?

cheers

davetd
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if it is clicking regularly it needs a new reg sphere
regards malcolm
paulbx
My Cars:

ticking frequency

Post by paulbx »

more than 1 every 20 secs means its on its way out. Healthy Accumulator can go over 60 secs. As for the "whoosh" thats unrelated I think (mine does that too - sometimes)
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sound accumulator is vital - especially on a Xantia with anti-sink and ABS or other suspension complications.

If after fitting a new sphere it still ticks rather often the non-return valve in the regulator has probably worn its seat - it can be re-seated at no cost - full instructions on here.

Accumulator should be able to raise you if you run the car, let it settle, turn off the engine and sit in the boot. Car should sink then after 30 seconds or so rise to its original position.
jeremy
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

Jeremy

Acc sphere changed 3 months ago, and 18 months ago by previous owner

Found one of your old posts on the search facility; so

Depressurise Hydraulics
Acc Sphere off
Brass punch to the ball behind where the sphere sealing ring goes
and then back together

Let me know if i've missed something :oops:

Many thanks

davetd
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

That's correct - one smart tap only - otherwise you get overlapping seats that are worse than what you started with.

If you can do it with the regulator in place be prepared to use something other than your eye to collect the ball in when it falls out.

And of course the usual health warning - prop it up properly or it will kill you.

Incidentally if you get a face full of LHM when you remove the accumulator - its flat. It should not be holding any - so when its depressurised - very little should come out - but it may continue to drip slowly - which I think is due to the stuff syphoning through the pump.

Good luck!
jeremy
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

Jeremy

I finally did as you suggested this morning but it hasn't made any difference.

With the sphere off I removed the 8mm bolt and plate, removed, cleaned, replaced and then tapped the small ball bearing at the top is that correct

regards

davetd
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

have you tested the accumulator - by sitting in the boot? Does the ticking frequency change when the car is fully raised (suspension spheres function as accumulators)

If the car doesn't rise or change frequency then the accumulator is faulty.

If all is OK then you may have a leak elsewhere. This won't be a leak to the outside but an internal leak - and you may be able to find it by removing the return pipes.

The most likely candidates are the front struts (highish mileage - they seem much more durable than BX ones) or the regulator itself (again unusal but possibly its scred a valve or is slack)

Are you 100% sure there is no air getting into the LHM before the pump? The hose from the reservoir can crack or its ends either work loose or become ragged when removed. The ends must be properly clipped - and not turn when twisted. Air in the LHM will cause all manner of problems.
jeremy
robyoz

Post by robyoz »

Just had my accumaltor sphere replaced was ticking every 10-15 secs now with new one ticks every 3-5 mins.