Xsara 1.4 transmission noise?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boroboy

Xsara 1.4 transmission noise?

Post by boroboy »

Hi all,
I own a 1.4 Xsara, 02, 81,000, FCSH. Had the car a week now & have noticed a transmission type noise, it's when you accelerate. Could it be the alternator belt? Timing belt changed at 75,000, but alternator belt squeaks slightly when cold, on closer inspection, outer edge starting to look perished. The only way I can describe the noise is it sounds like (showing my age now). When you used to have to fit a suppressor to your radio cassette, if you didn't you'd hear allot of background noise whilst accelerating. This noise sounds like that, not as amplified though & my cd player switched off. Still makes the same noise whether your accelerating or just revving the car from a standing position.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Last edited by boroboy on 16 Oct 2006, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Do you mean a suppressor? This would bave been a capacitor which would have dealt with the various hums coming off the alternator or dynamo. You would have hasd another on the ignition to deal with the roar coming from that source.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

see if the noise changes tone or pitch when you press the clutch pedel down,is so it could be your thrust bearing,1,4 AXs suffer with gear box noise in revers
regards malcolm
boroboy

Post by boroboy »

jeremy,
Yep, you got it in one, suppressor.
boroboy

Post by boroboy »

Malcolm,
Even if I rev the car when it's out of gear the noise is still there. Never had that noise with my earlier xsara. I'll try pushing the clutch peddle in, tried it, no difference.

Thanks.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

exhaust touching the body somwhere? or maybe lower engine stabaliser bush gone allowing engine to come into contact with subframe,either of these problems can cause an aufull noise
regards malcolm