Fan/heated screen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Fan/heated screen

Post by Fox »

So, I got into my Xantia this evening and the windows were steamed up, so I started the engine and engaged the fan - except nothing happened. No blowing. Great.
The rear window was steamed up as well, so I pressed the heated rear screen button. Which didn't light up, and didnt turn the screen on. It lit up when held down, but when I let go, the light went out.
So, I set about manually demisting with a cloth. I got about half way through when suddenly the fan kicked into life, and the heated rear screen suddenly worked properly again - click it, light comes on, screen demists, click it again light goes off. It's been fine ever since.
Any ideas what could have caused that? Ta.
1994 Citroen Xantia SX 1.9 Turbo Diesel
147,500 miles
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Hi
Just helped a neighbour with this. It's more than likely a worn ignition switch. Do a search on that and you'll find lots of threads.
In a bit of a hurry - sorry.
Jamie
iceman9999

Post by iceman9999 »

ignition switch yup similar prob try using wd40 in the barrel should sort it out
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Na - Na - iceman [;)]
Not so good with WD40 on electric contacts. This problem is caused by a BURNT contact set - not a dirty contact set.
It's a common problem on earlier Xantia - where the blower and rear heat is taken directly from one of the ignition key contact sets. No relay protecting the contact set.
cheesey

Post by cheesey »

hi,
Undo bottom shroud, trace the two thick wires to a brown connector block, bridge the two wires from the car with some heavy wire. job done. just remember to turn off fan now. as the power is on 24/7
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

ACCESSING IGNITION SWITCH
I can nowconfirm that accessing the ignition switch does indeed require removing the steering wheel, as was recently described.
However, the wiring to the iginition switch passes to the left below the steering column, and may be adequately accessable by releasing the panel that continues
forward of the lower half of the shroud around the steering column.
Behind this lower panel you will find (on Right Hand Drive Cars) 3 of 2 way connectors with heavy gauge wires. The brown connector is the one that is energised when the ignition switch reaches the second position, and I think that this one carries current to the heater fan.
I have taken colour photos of the area revealed inside the steering shroud, and can make these available with further information after we return from our driving holiday to Brisbane.
Meanwhile, I found that the fan is behaving normally since I injected 1/4cc of silicone lubricant (Amway WONDER MIST) into the square hole in the top of the steel housing for the ignition switch. But I am taking the soldering iron and a handful of Bosch mini-relays on holidays with us, rather than complete the bypass procedure by further delaying our departure.
It is my intention to shunt current through relays for each of the 3 circuits to the ignition switch, and to mount the relays where they can be accessed/replaced without
having to disassemble anything.
I've noticed a consistent delay between getting the engine fired up and the heater blower switching in, which suggests that the ECU may be bringing it in via a relay once the engine revs have stabilized. If there were to be a heater blower relay, where would it be located ?