Xantia door woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Xantia door woes

Post by Fox »

Hiya,
At the moment, I have to get into my Xantia using my passenger door. It all started this morning when I unlocked the car only to find the drivers door would not open - it behaved exactly how it does when its locked, except it wasn't locked.
Getting in the via passenger side meant I was then able to open the door from inside - although the catch feels odd.
I did once manage to open from the outside but it didnt feel normal, the handle basically had no force against it at all like it usually did, and then pulling it hard enabled it to open.
Does anyone know what could be up here? I hear an odd click from the drivers door when locking the car..
1994 Citroen Xantia SX 1.9 Turbo Diesel
147,500 miles
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Not had a problem on a Cit but have struck it often on Jap stuff I've owned.
You'll find something a return spring works on has started to seize up due to moisture getting into a plunger or something associated with it.
Normally, you have to remove door liner and try to operate manually whilst it's off, observing things that just move but appear as though they should move much further than they do. Spray with WD40 or similar and work until they free up at which point they will need to be wiped over to remove all excess WD and then lubed using engine oil followed usually by a thin coat of grease or vaseline.
If you just walk away when it frees with the WD40, you'll be redoing the job in a week otherwise.
Alan S