C5 suspension noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fella

Post by Fella »

Have same problem with c5 Exclusive estate. 2.2 hdi 78,000. Clanking noise from nearside rear. No noise from speed bumps if taken smoothly with suspension working to limits but if encounter wrong type of speed bumps or hit manhole cover - clank clank. Have had four garages look at it - exhaust ok heat shields tightened up rear brake pads renewed still sound like can of paint in boot !!. No sign of abnormal tyre wear on rear and wheels straight - realigned recently.
bordercars

Post by bordercars »

rear brakes done still clanking..

as a tempoary measure i have cracked off the nylock nut on the rear arm and the noise has gone i am going to try and lube the area i think i may be able to drift the bolt out a little and then get some gunge in,
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I had a very annoying rattling/clanking noise from the rear on my BX.
It took me almost a year to trace down the problem.

During my work overhauling the rear arm & brakes - I simply forgot to torque the small 6mm bolts that holds the dust shield plate on the rear RHS arm :oops:

For some reason I never checked the shield - until some day I was under the rear checking for the 177.th time where the exhaust or spare wheel cage were rattling. Hitting the shield with my elbow made that very special and wellknown sound again :roll:

NOTE : I certainly dont like you to drive around in your C5 with no nut to hold the rear arm pivot bolt in place :shock:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
bordercars

Post by bordercars »

AndersDK wrote:I had a very annoying rattling/clanking noise from the rear on my BX.
It took me almost a year to trace down the problem.

During my work overhauling the rear arm & brakes - I simply forgot to torque the small 6mm bolts that holds the dust shield plate on the rear RHS arm :oops:

For some reason I never checked the shield - until some day I was under the rear checking for the 177.th time where the exhaust or spare wheel cage were rattling. Hitting the shield with my elbow made that very special and wellknown sound again :roll:

NOTE : I certainly dont like you to drive around in your C5 with no nut to hold the rear arm pivot bolt in place :shock:
thanks for your input, ref your note I have not removed the nut on the rear arm only cracked it open approx 1/2 a turn
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

bordercars wrote: thanks for your input, ref your note I have not removed the nut on the rear arm only cracked it open approx 1/2 a turn
That means your rear arm bearings don't have the correct preload on them, thats not good. If there is slack in the bearing, you'll end up with play and shockloading, thats not good either. Even if having the nut slackened does fix the noise, you can't leave it like that long term...