Replacement Citroen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ianselva
My Cars:

Replacement Citroen

Post by ianselva »

I have to replace our current 1992 TZD and 1995 1.8i ZX with a single lower mileage car. I only want spend about £1K . I am looking for the cheapest , easiest to run as I'm getting on a bit for major car surgery. I think it will be another turbo diesel ( My TZD is at 191K) as I will sometimes need to tow my racing car & trailer, but would forum members suggest a ZX, Xantia or a Xsara ?

Cheers

Ian
1992 BX TZD 180000miles !
1959 Historic Formual Junior racer
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Interesting topic - I've thought about consolidating my BX DTR Turbo estae (200500 miles) and our ZX 1.9D (83,000 miles). I'd like an estate car and the obvious one would be a Xantia - but the problem is that they are no bigger than the BX inside but about 250kg heavier, considerably longer and probably as wide as the ZX, and in 1.9TD form, rather slow and thirsty.

2.1 or HDi Xantia could be an answer but they are still big and heavy.

ZX TD estate could also be an answer but they're all a bit old now and a bit smaller than the BX which might be something we have to live with. Xsara estates look smaller than the ZX but not unatractive.
jeremy
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Is the TZD giving problems? If not, I'd be tempted to hang on to it. Presumably you've had it for a while and know it pretty well. I would have thought that it would be good for another 50k. £1000 could get you a good motor if you are lucky or a load of trouble if not, diesels don't come cheap if you are looking for something much newer than what you've got.

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I don't like to but I have to admit a Peugeot 106 1.5D is pretty good. Its not quick, its not clever, to be honist with 13" steelies it doesn't go round corners without screaming its nuts off but it will do 140+ miles to £10. In this day & age thats remarkable.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Without doubt the best car for space, comfort and pulling power is a 2.1 td XM manual, and they are pretty economical to, as good or better than the Xantia, unless its to big for you. The problem is they are getting very thin on the ground now and unless you get a well mintained one, could be troublesome.

Your next best option would be a Peugeot 405 estate. They are comfortable, economical, roomy, fairly easy to maintain and very cheap. The 406 is also good but not so much space. These Peugeots are about the best value for money on the secondhand market.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

If your towing certainly the XM and Xantia 2.1td would be your best bet as they would be so much more refined(i used ours to tow my coupe on teh back of a heavey IFOR williams trailor and the thing was fine pulling away considering the wieght of the lot was maybe a smidgin over allowances :(

I just bought someinjectors to get cleaned up and some very cheap pistons for ours and just missed out on a clutch as well for it but all good at the minute :D
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i'd agree with peter i think that the best car for space, comfort and economy has to be a xm 2.1td estate manual, i tried to find one but most of them were very rough and with starship miles so i settled for a 2.1td xantia estate, loads more pulling power than my old 1.9td and just as economical :)

kp, did you buy the injectors of ebay, i had a bid on some but didn't get them.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Could of course stay with two vehicles and have the BIG car as a petrol Xm
estate or hatch (less ££'s to buy and find - especailly 16v or turbos at the
moment it seems) biased for the use of the less frequent travel and for
economy a TD Xantia! (again for not much money). You have two insurance
policies available and one car to act as stand in for the other when it's feeling
cranky and having it's belly fettled!! :wink:

Andrew
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

from what i have read on here, 2.1 TD is a good option for this money, i have never owned anything with it in, but i am starting to hanker after one....

otherwise, cheap HDi ? 406 306 ... late Xantia...

LPG a turbo Xantia ;) or a V6 (which i am still hoping to convert..)

john g
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The 2.1 td is a brilliant engine but a pig to change the head gasket on, so if its done anything like 150k miles try and get one thats had the gasket replaced. My previous XM had done 292k when I sold it and was still going strong but the head gasket had been replaced.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Hi Dave,
Yeah i won them on ebay. theres some more up at the minute.
Im looking to get them cleaned out and checked and keep them vacum sealed untill the headgasket goes. At which point i also havea set of brand new pistons and rings... for £25 from ebay as well to go in as im going to get my hands on a digital scale so i can balance them out as well as ive been told the tolerance in citroens manufacture can be upto like 20g each... Not good if you hit the high revs but it should hopefully make it last longer once all put together as well :)

Ours is on 170k now and on its way to swindon and back as we speak. I bought it cheap from ebay fixed it up and gave it my dad and he loves it more than the 1.9td we had. My mum hates me for it though as she was hoping it would die soon enough(no chance!) and that hed look into getting an auto so they could both drive it :roll:
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

KP wrote:Hi Dave,
Yeah i won them on ebay. theres some more up at the minute.
Im looking to get them cleaned out and checked and keep them vacum sealed untill the headgasket goes. At which point i also havea set of brand new pistons and rings... for £25 from ebay as well to go in as im going to get my hands on a digital scale so i can balance them out as well as ive been told the tolerance in citroens manufacture can be upto like 20g each... Not good if you hit the high revs but it should hopefully make it last longer once all put together as well :)

Ours is on 170k now and on its way to swindon and back as we speak. I bought it cheap from ebay fixed it up and gave it my dad and he loves it more than the 1.9td we had. My mum hates me for it though as she was hoping it would die soon enough(no chance!) and that hed look into getting an auto so they could both drive it :roll:
i was biding on the injectors as well for the very same reason so i could get one set checked and cleaned and still be using my car, i think i'll bid on the other ones :)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think its generally acepted that balance isn't very important on slow revving engines like diesels - 16 valve BX - revving to 7200 yes - but not diesels at 4500 max, which will only be achieved briefly in the gears - not for cruising in 5th.

By all means do it but I don't think you'll notice the difference.

Now lightening the flywheel - would improve acceleration!
jeremy
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Jeremy thats something else ive thought about as the engine will be in total bits and it will need skimming anyway, just won a valeo clutch kit for £29.99 so all good :)

Maybe ill be ucky and come across a new block and head while im at it :D

To be fair it does pick up quick so im hoping that with the rev limit being about 5200 it should help for the odd occasion in 1st in poor weather where you spin up too quick for a second and give some protection to the engine but i may as well do it anyway as they will be sat on the side for a while :(
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

This ones easy :lol:

Sell of the toys and get yourself a nice low milage CX2500 GTi Turbo :mrgreen: It'll haul any trailer effortlessly you need :)

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)