2.1td thermostat

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davethewheel

2.1td thermostat

Post by davethewheel »

i need to change my thermostat on my 2.1td xantia as it only gets to just over 60c when i'm on the motorway so either it's stuck or there isn't one in there i tried Euro parts and they said that they don't stock it and gsf only list one for a 1.9td, any know if they are the same including the sealing ring :)

regards dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Below is a link to the entire Quinton Hazell thermostat catalogue Seems that the 2.1 thermostat is unique to that engine and some V6's. What is interesting is that they list a gasket for just about every other thermostat and sell them as kits (like the rather wierd one in early BX TD's) but no gasket is listed for this one - which may mean that it doesn't have one.

Have a look at the PR net to see if there should be one.

http://www2.qha.com/catalogues/QH03-QTH.pdf

Your local friendly spared shop may stock Quinton Hazell - most do and the prices aren't bad.
jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The 2.1 is different - it is mounted in the water pump inlet rather than the cylinder head outlet :shock: I imagine that changing it will be a good spectator sport..... :lol: Anyway pr.net lists 2:

133872 (up to RP 7189) £10.50
133871 (from RP 7190) £12.29

The gasket appears to be sold separately - 133866 £1.39

At those prices, I'd be going direct to the dealer to make sure I got the right one - I'm pretty sure you don't want to be stranded half way through the job with the wrong 'un!!
Richard W
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

damn it i thought it was in the cylinder head outlet under the fuel filter, anyone ever changed one and is it a belt off job, if it is it's staying like that :(

regards dave
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

TD12's do run cold, and the temperture meter can't be trusted to any great degree (ha ha) either. The importat thing with that motor is that it DOES NOT LIKE GETTING HOT!

All the problems I've had with the 2.1 have been due to crappy quality of the rubber coolant hoses - especially around the area where the hose clamp bites into the rubber - definitely worth close inspection. And if you get any form of indication that its getting just a little bit hot, shut it down immediately otherwise its a case of skimmed head and new head gasket.

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

maybe the temp guage is out as the fans seem to come on at around 80c, which is about the hotest that iv'e seen it get, a friend of mine has a 2.1td peugeot and his seems to run at around 90c all the time :)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ours seems fine it will get to 90 and then the fans cut in at lower speed and the temp can rise a little more and when it his 100 they go on full whack and the temp goes right back down to around 90 which is wierd lol
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As long as the thermostat is working and you are getting a decent output from the heater, I wouldn't worry about the temperature being a little low, I would wait for the thermostat to fail altogether before tackling it as its not as easy as a conventional one.

Its located at the drivers side (RHD) rear of the engine and is not very easy to see, you can do it by feel but a mirror would be a good idea.

The good part is that as the thermostat is in the return side you dont get the usual problem of airlocks when you refill it, just keep pouring water in until it wont take any more, slow but sure. Its an altogether better designed cooling system than the 1.9.

...And yes, it is a special thermostat.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i wonder what possessed citroen to put it there, just because they can i suppose, the thing is i think that the thermostat has given up already the radiator seems to warm at the same time as the engine suggesting that it's stuck open, it's not to bad at the moment i was more worried about how low the temp will be once the cold weather hits, i'll just see how it goes i'm not about to change it in a hurry, i would have done if it was located were i first thought it was :lol:
deian

Post by deian »

don't they have two thermostats? i have the 2.1 too and i'm sure i read about a weird setup these engines have for cooling.

a good guide is, if u get hot heating inside the car then the thermostat(s) are opening ok and all is good. if you feel a faulty gauge is happening i have a faulty gauge too, once in a while it sticks on full, a quick slap to the top of the dash soon rectifies the problem, maybe you can check the connection (especialy the earth) to the temp sender sensor and see if it reads what it should after some wd40

good luck
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The reason that they put it there is to improve the efficiency of the cooling system as it prevents airlocks in the head, when did you last hear of a cracked 2.1 td head?

I dont think that the 2.1 has two thermostats, at least I have never found another one, but the 2.5 as used in the XM does. A good engine but too complicated and almost impossible to get spares for. The 2.1 is a brilliant engine, I've been running them in XMs for over ten years.