Aux belt tensioner noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mike Pratt

Aux belt tensioner noise

Post by Mike Pratt »

Hi I have a 2.0HDI Xantia 2000. I have just changed the aux belt tensioner due to an anoying squeak the previous one was making. The squeak has gone but I am now left with an equally anoying noise at idle coming from the same area of the engine. Having inspected the tensioner with the engine running, I noticed that the tensioner jumps around in tune to the noise. Looking at other posts a crankshaft pulley would seem to be a likely cause, especially as this does not seem to be rotating smoothly (and could be causing the aux tensioner to jump around). However on inspection I can't see any obvious problem with this pully. So any advice would be greatfully received.

Mike in Coventry.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Draw a white line across the face of the crankshaft pulley using "white out" or "Typpex" correction fluid.
Check it after a run and see if it's still a straight line or if it appears to have moved, if it has, then the rubber mounted boss has moved inside the outer part of the pulley and needs either replacing or rebuilding.
Known as a "harmonic balance" if you need to buy one.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Mike Pratt

Aux belt noise

Post by Mike Pratt »

Thanks for the advice, one question, how do I identify if I have a two part pulley. The face of the one fitted looks solid to me. There are two semicircular groves just inside the outer edge, they are opposing (so don't go all the way around) wich have traces of rubber within them.

Bugger, things are never that easy !
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'm not sure on Diesels, but on petrols, there are two sections with a vulcanised centre piece.
If looked at closely, the thin strip of rubber can be seen and a common trick is the white line. As you run a finger across, the rubber lip between the two sections can be quite easily felt.
Maybe someone may have a pic of one. I think there was one posted recently so I'll rack my brain and try to remember where and post if nobody else rises to the occasion.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

All HDis are fitted with 2-part pulleys, and failure is common. The usual symptom is a rattle at idle from a cold start. If you look at the pulley, you may see a rusty / dusty line around the centre, or if it's really bad, a shiny edge and possible shards of metal. Beware that total failure of the pulley can result in the engine throwing its cam belt, so replace soon! New one about £80 from GSF, < 1 hour to fit

Pic of failed pulley here
Richard W
Mike Pratt

Post by Mike Pratt »

Yep, thats what I'm seeing and, after marking the pulley, I can see it's moved.

Thanks for your help guy's.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi does the 1.9 td engine have this type of pulley. regards john,
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

1.9 D ZX (late 1994) has one - runs nice and smoothly too! zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
jeremy
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Yep, my 97 Xantia has one. And a note for me: I should mark it too as it has done 168k miles. As I have a cambelt change coming up at 170k it would be useful to know if it on its way out.

What is the real problem here? It's only the Aux belt that uses the circumference of the pulley, so a split middle shouldn't affect the cam belt directly. The cam belt is under the shrowding for protection. I guess it doesn't separate cleanly, is that the problem?
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I saw a recent posting (in the past couple of months) where one let go and the bits of disintegrating belt managed to find it's way into the cambelt area and bye bye cambelt along with usual disastrous results.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Does a cambelt breakage on an HDi lead to massive failure or just broken cam followers?

Does anyone have a sound sample of a failing crankshaft pulley? My Xantia make a strange jingling noise when stood no matter whether the clutch is in or out. Pulley was changed about 37K miles ago.
not applicable
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Cam belt failure on the HDI engine will normally result in a couple of broken rockers costing about £12 each.

Best still, change the belt, cos you never know, you may be the unusual one to get totally knackered.

Regards
Slim.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Hi all I could be a million miles away here but from a slightly scary experience on an earlier Xant - could the noise be a failing bearing on the Air Con pump? If it is, it stops when the air con is engaged.
Really bad wear can cause the belt to fray or move across a groove or two.
Robin
Citroens are dedicated to those who take a big bite - and just keep on chewing!