Bottom Mount(rear drivers side) 1.9td Xantia mk1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Bottom Mount(rear drivers side) 1.9td Xantia mk1

Post by KP »

Ive looked on GSF but i cant see it on there at all so was wondering if its only available thru citroen?

Mine has started to perish the rubber ring itself so is this replacable on its own at all or is it a whole mounting?

Doesnt look like its too big a job but its annoying sometimes at certain revs and while holding a certain rev on descents more than anything(which i do a lot on the same journey from warrington to doncaster every few days :(
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Everything that been said already by EVERYONE is here...

http://tinyurl.com/pveds

Andrew
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I bought one from GSF Exeter on Thursday : N10126, £6.25 + vat I'm just hoping it stops raining soon so that I can fit it! For some inexplicable reason they list it as a 'disc'
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Cheers Guys :)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Got it from GSf and will attempt fitting later following the info on here or maybe tomorrow morning.... still need to sort out the fuel leak as well :(
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ok the easy part was removing the part of the arm that supports the rubber mount, what was left of the rubber mount literally fell out :shock: the hard part really is going to be getting this sodding metal ring out now :( tried sawing it a little but the tiny hacksaw i had wasnt doing so well so im going to have to use something much beefier later and hopefully be able to take some of it out. Trying to hit the new one on and force the old one out hasnt worked. didnt even budge a mm :(
Im seriously thinking of using the shoe method that the french fella did with a solid piece of rubber or suchlike as i dont fancy taking teh mount off the engine and taking it to get pressed in :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have just done mine this morning. Its not to difficult to get to as I think there is a bit more room round it on the XM. I had to resort to a large hammer and chisel to remove it, if you can get a sharp cold chisel between the edge of the metal sleeve and the housing, being careful not to do to much damage to the housing!, you can get the sleeve to fold back on itself and if you hit it long and hard enough, it will come out.

Fitting the new one was more difficult. I put it in the freezer for a while before I fitted it and also ran the engine to get the housing warm, this should give you the maximum clearance. I ran a file around the inside of the housing to remove any burrs and then greased it. I tapped it in evenly all round, it went in about a third of the way and then jammed. I tried making up a press with a long bolt and suitable spacers but it wasn't strong enough and kept bending, so I eventually hammered it in all the way with a copper hammer, it took some doing and bent the edge of the housing a bit, but it did go in!

I hope you find yours easier :x
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I'd bite the bullet and take the driveshaft off and remove the casting to a
place you can work on it at your leisure!! Or better still give a machine shop
the hassle and pay up whilst keeping sanity and knuckles intact!!

This is usually the certain way gearbox oil gets changed! :wink:

Andrew
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Mine was exactly same as Peter.. freezer, heat, pre - filing and still it only went in 30%

i had trouble from then on, was not impressed by the end, although its in and fine, not the way I like to work anymore...

Honestly, RH driveshaft, and gearbox oil removal, then the whole unit is free... £5 to your local garage with a press ;)

John g
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I really dont fancy teh taking off idea at all on teh drive really and dont fancy taking it somewhere either to be charged £25 an hour if not more.

Have a desk vice that i may take off the desk and try and use that to get the thing onto it if the sawing method doesnt go well for it :D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

once the center of the old one is out,use a full size hack saw cut through the metal outer sleeve in two places,then it should drop out,now file a bevel aronud the outer edge of the housing to give the new bush a leading edge,as others have said freeze the new bush over night leave it in the freezer until you are ready to fit it,smear oil or grease inside the housing and tap the bush in gently and evenly all the way around the edge,dont whack it hard at any point as it will just jam up on the squew,it wont hurt it if the edge is slightly bured when you are finnished
regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Cheers malcom ill give that a go as well.

The weather doesnt seem to want to help me so i guess im going to have to find some old plastic to throw over the car as well to keep the rain at bay as its up on ramps, chocked and supported with wood incase of suspension sink so its a good 20" in the air at the front bumper edge which helps a good bit for getting at things :)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Hi all.

Well i finally got the bugger off last night :D took an age and some gentle sawing as well but finally did it.

Got the new one on bar about 8mm of it and its stuck to buggery and wont go any further :(

Has helped no end with the annoying see-sawing of the engine but it does transmit more vibrations thru the body, i think due to not being fully seated.

Im thinking of rigging up a thick plate on one side of the mount, and then one plate with an exhaust Vband clamp used to keep the force on the outter metal edge, and then tighten it up as best i can with ratchet and hand vice grips. this should be able to get it in near enough all the way i hope boy is it a bugger getting the new one in :(
Has anyone though about sawing INTO the new one to make it a tiny bit smaller and easier to fit in as once its in its not going anywhere really is it??

Some pictures are here if anyone wants a nosey
www.coop.talktalk.net/Xantia_Repairs

Ta again all :)

Will
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

well done so far Will..

that is one monster screwdriver ;)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

It was left on top of the battery of my telewest van a few years ago after the kwikfit guy put a new one in... kinda why i dont use them anymore as if i had braked hard it would have shorted the battery!!!

Its tough as nails though, ive hammered it and abused it as a lever for so many things it makes me think it must have cost about £20 or more lol :)