Recommend the best Xantia to Buy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dazcro
My Cars:

Recommend the best Xantia to Buy

Post by dazcro »

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this type of forum but I have a question to but to you, which Xantia is the best to buy?

To date I've had a Xantia 1.9TD, a Xantia 1.8i 8valve (I Still Own), drove the Xantia 1.8i 16 valve (Nice indeed!!) and now I have a 2.0HDI Xantia 90Bhp which I love to drive.

Now when it comes to cars I'm afraid I only know the basics. The comfort of the Xantia goes without saying and many who have said to me “you own a Citroen, yuck” have come back to say “wow it is comfortable”.

What model gives the Xantia range that unique difference? Is it an Activa Xantia? (12 Spheres I think!!!) Or a simple standard Xantia? Is the sunroof the way to go? Or would you prefer the AC (the 2.0HDI AC great for those hot summers!)?

Since Xantia is replaced now with the C5, I would like to get the best Xantia Model before I have to change to a more conventional looking Car so let me know what you think? Is there any other model you think I should try out? An old XM maybe? Would you jump to a C5 instead?

Thanks for your interest in this Topic…

Daz.
Kitch
My Cars:

Post by Kitch »

The best Xantia is the Activa, but purely for what it does. The CT engine is lame too, and economy ain't great so it may not be the best car to own, but its the best variant of the Xantia.

If its got H/A and the nicer gearbox then I guess most would say a HDi. To be honest most of the petrol engines in the Xantia's are lame so I'd be inclinded to agree. You could get HDi Activas on the continent though, and a V6 manual...... :D
1991 Citroen BX 16valve

1998 Citroen Xsara 1.9TD SX

1993 Peugeot 106 XSi

1995 TVR Chimaera 400
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi there and welcome.. Usually, when a car is being phased out of production the maker puts out a run of cars with all the "toys" included as standard. If Citroen did this, then there should a few of these Xants about.. they would certainly be worth a look. I keep hankering after an Activa, (Ten Spheres) but as a DIY'er I doubt my ability to maintain this properly. My ideal (diesel) Xantia is a pre-hydractive one that has just had it's Head gasket, Clutch and rear swing-arm bearings done by somebody else !!. Finally, in my view it is the essentially simple hydraulic suspension which doesn't go "baggy" even on a 12 year old car that makes me keep buying them. Best Wishes, Martin
I won't do that again
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

My favourite would be the V6. Shame you couldn't get a RHD model with a manual gearbox...

I think my next Citroen purchase will be a clean BX 16V (few and far between these days) or an end of the line XM. 8)
ImageImage
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you want comfort, performance and economy go for a 2.1td, but if its done much over 100k make sure that the head gasket has been changed.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

With the 2,1td the headgasket isnt really too much of an issue if its been serviced fine. ours has done 166k now and not had the job done.

The vsx 2.1td or hdi 110 would be the one to go for. the estates hold their money much better as well though.

A 1.9td lx will be the cheapest to maintain though.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The only two "special" Xantia's would have to be the Activa and the V6.

Both have performance that is a jump above the rest of the Xantia range, the Activa is a 150bhp low boost turbo (easily chippable apparently) with a manual gearbox and the "zero roll" suspension system.

Although its acceleration is a lot better than most of the Xantia range, its still nothing special compared to a lot of other modern "performance" cars, its real claim to fame is the Activa system which limits body roll to half a degree, and its probably the best handling Xantia with the best cornering but by all accounts its NOT the best riding Xantia, with a ride considerably worse than Hydractive 2.

Other downsides are yet two more spheres than the HA2 models, a longer lifting up time, more things to go wrong, and fairly poor MPG from the turbo...

Then theres the V6 - 194bhp but only available in Auto. Considering the larger cc's and that the car is a lot heavier it apparently gets pretty similar, perhaps slightly better MPG than the Activa.

I think all V6 models come with Hydractive 2, and due to the increased weight it's probably the best riding Xantia, but still with pretty good handling.

Most V6 Xantia owners swear by them... apart from fuel costs of course! Apparently the V6 is a very nice smooth flexible engine. The downsides of the V6 are that its the heaviest Xantia by a mile (1494Kg!!) and the engine is crammed into the engine bay like a sardine making things like cambelt and even spark plugs a nightmare.

Personally I'd love to have either one if I had the money. :lol: Here in New Zealand both models are very rare - especially the Activa where there are apparently less than 15 in the whole country...(and maybe a hundred or so V6's) My heart wants an Activa, but my head thinks a V6 would be more realistic :)

If you want the ultimate in cornering ability and dont mind replacing more spheres, (and tyres!) less spare parts availability, high fuel costs etc, get an Activa. If you just want a nice fast really refined comfortable riding Xantia which still has very good (but not zero roll) handling, get a V6.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

From a buying/running/owning perspective a HDI 110 Exclusive estate would be the one to go for.

Sunroof? I have never missed it since getting climate control.

The V6 is nice but no estate (in the UK), it's expensive to run and awkward to work on.

The TurboCT is much maligned but it's the best of the petrol engines.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I recently switched over to a Xantia HDi Exclusive from a 405 GTX TD estate. The ride seems good, the engine much nicer and when you turn it hard it really grips. Most of my friends think it has a nice ride too. Fuel economy is good. There's loads of toys but I suppose there's just more to go wrong. Mine has a sunroof and AC, can't see the point of the sunroof really. Wish it was an estate!

Steve.
not applicable
paulbx
My Cars:

HDi 90

Post by paulbx »

I have a Hdi 90 esate - lots of room, pulls well even when laoded with family, dog and camping kit. Hdi110 would be even betetr but none arund when I needed one.
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Estate with a sunroof!! Thing is, go and try and find one, they're quite
hard to find!

Diesel IF being sensible, V6 if being silly...

VSX/Exclusive if suspension sorted out completely, but 'normal spec' does a
fine job too, and nothing below SX trim!!

Silver or emerald green.

Jury's out on whether I prefer S1 or S2!! :D

Andrew
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Have owned a few Xantia's non of them an estate because I don't need the extra space now... But for the money the BEST one is definately the V6 it's certainly on a much higher refinement level than all the others....

Whether it's the most SUITABLE for you, only you can decide.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
dazcro
My Cars:

Post by dazcro »

Hi Guys,

Wow!!! Looks like I need to do some homework on the different models that were released. A V6 Xantia!!! Is this a late addition to the range? I can find that out myself. Although I think I'll stay with the Diesel based on the cost to run the thing. But a higher powered Diesel would be nice!!!

My 2HDi has the climate control also which is nice. I had a problem with it when I parked a few times. The suspension stayed high when I stopped and when I started the car again the suspension hit rock bottom. It seems to be ok now though. The rear suspension would sit down for a long time also. I would have to drive over a few bumps to get it to wake up.

My STOP light doesn't stay on for long, even when I just start the car. Before I start the Car it is on. Any ideas there???

The ciroacrobatics I assume is raising and lowering the suspension when parked. How often should this be done? Oh and where are the rear height correctors, I would like to give them the odd spray of WD40.

Anyhow, some mixed opinions there about what Xantia to buy. I'll keep my eye out for an Activia (Sounds Like Fun!!!).

All the Best....

Daz...
Currently Own:
Xantia 1.8i 99'
Xantia 2HDi 00' (90Bhp)
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

There was a V6 Activa as well, for the best of both worlds. Best of luck finding one though.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/perhe_pitkanen/xw/activav6.htm
ImageImage
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I've put down my Jamesons and lemonade as theirs a couple of questions I can answer, finally :D

The Citaerobics can be done entirely at your discression, but I would say once a month is an acceptable time limit. Just raise the car up to highest and leave for a few minutes and then sink her down to the lowest setting, again waiting a few minutes. Repeat several times. I imagine everyday is the best answer, but then who can really be bothered to do that 8)

The height correctors which everybody sprays to keep moving free are located - the rear one is located attached to the anti roll bar(?) which runs along the entire width of the car from each rear wheel, roughly central. The front one is located in roughly the same depth into the car, but apparently is a little hidden with some shielding, but their should be a hole showing it which allows enough access (Ive not seen the front one personally, but just remembering what fellow members have previously said).

The reason for the ? is because Im no mechanic so dont know every correct car term :) but its that big chunky pole running between each rear tyre 8)

Hope thats of some help for some of the questions.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(