ZX TD Misfire and Smokescreen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

philhoward

ZX TD Misfire and Smokescreen

Post by philhoward »

I'm slowly getting to the bottom of the new aquisition, but i'm now left at the door of the fuel system.

I posted previously about the engine permanently being in cold start mode (clattery like its over advanced and 1100rpm idle speed), but found a new trick - on a prolonged pull up a hill, it will have a single misfire/stutter, carry on then do it again a few seconds later. It also smokes like a good un on anything over 1/4 throttle. Could it be the pump or injectors, or something else? It's had a couple of redline thrashes to try and decoke it, but to no avail as yet (with injector cleaner in the tank).

Is it possible to overfuel a diesel that it stops, or do you just more smoke?

ZX TD; 97 R, Lucas pump
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its also possible that the pump timing is wrong - either it has been adjusted incorrectly or - has the timing belt been fitted to its pulley 1 tooth out?

As has probably been mentioned before problems with the advance mechanism are virtually unknown - and I bet if you search this whole forum you will not find a positive diagnosis. This means that it is not likely to be the source of your problems?

Hesitation under load suggests a fuel supply problem - like a partially blocked fuel filter.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

What colour is the smoke?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Would incorrect timing also account for an increased idle speed? I'm still a newbie on Diesel injection pumps.. The sealing paint on the throttle lever stop looks like its been there 9 years. I still suspect the solenoid, but it appears that this would be the first even known failure of one of these.

It's not a hesitation - in which case the filter would have been fix No.1 - but an actual "stop" in acceleration, just like a misfire on a petrol car. It then carries on pulling and belching out smoke like a good 'un! The amount of smoke makes me think that's overfuelling rather than being strangled. What are the symptoms of a leaking injector?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Peter.N. wrote:What colour is the smoke?
Black...well, dark grey!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

It can't really overfuel - what it can do is suffer from runaway if you have a roto-diesel pump and air is getting in. Roto-diesel pumps rely on fuel pressure to operate the governor - and air can even cause them to runaway - certainly control problems.

If you don't know about the air - insert a section of clear pipe instead of the last supply pipe to the pump and look when the engine is running.

Excess fuel will not put out the flame like an overrich petrol engine - it will still burn - just with rather impressive smoke - ALL BLACK - not white or grey.
jeremy