Fuel Filter housing compatibility XUD9TE

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Fuel Filter housing compatibility XUD9TE

Post by KP »

Does anyone know if the fuel filter housing from a ZX 1.9td Volcane is exactly the same as the one fitted to a 1.9td at all??

In its previous life some ejity has overtightened the bleed screw and its snapped off and been blocked up with some form of blutac kinda thing :mad:
I got the new bleed screw so really only need a new base for the thing.
Ive currently would a screw in with some araldite on it so will see tomorrow early eve whether this works or not if not i guess this new housing route is the way to go.
Im guesing at least £20 from citroen direct :(
Thanks,
Will
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I would imagine their the same as the filters themselves are all the same? are they not?

I'm going to jump for joy if someone confirms I'm correct :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

All the later 1.9tds I've seen be it Cit or Pug have been the same as each other.

Best bet might be to have a look in your local scrappy and see what the cars have got on them there, and you should be able to find a decent filter housing.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The bleed screw used to be a plastic dingy on these filters ?
Sure the blutac is not the remnants of a blue plastic screw ?

http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 733100.gif
05 - 1917.17 - DRAIN SCREW KIT DIESEL XU
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

That filter bowl is £55 from the dealer. You should find in easy enough at the breakers. The O ring seal at the bottom is very important, I think they are £7 new and it might be a good idea to fit a new one. You don't want to create yourself an air in fuel problem.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I agree. All the fairly late XUD engines have the same filter, mounted on the engine. The early ones were mounted on a seperate bracket.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Cheers guys.
Definately not part of some old blue screw as its very very soft :(

Also to compound the issue it now looks like ive got a leaky injector.

Fuel seems to seep from the 2nd injector :( im not sure if its from the return line or the feed line.
how much is a set of return lines at all? Also is it easy enough to just fit a seoncd hand injector and are they known to leak??

The ehad has just come off and gone back on so its possibly not tight enough but ill try tightening it later but dont want to over tighten it...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

all the 1.9/TD cit/pugs with the plastic fillter housing are the same,mind you dont get one from a 2.1TD as they look the same but the filter is larger in hight slightly,also it is best to replace the O ring under the housing and make sure the surface is spotlessly clean,do not over tighten the fixing bolt as you will crack the bottom of it
regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Would there be any benefit fitting one from a 2.1 other than having a larger filtration area and thus better flow as well??
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Not really, the proper 1.9 type is adequate providing it it changed at the proscribed time. Even the 2.1s will clogg if left long enough!
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

cool stuff.

Anyone any info or help on the injector seepage thing at all?? :)
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Injector Leak off pipes should be cheap enough from a motor factors or even halfrauds. I think your looking at under £5 for them.

Before you change the injector make very certain it is the injector thats leaking, I was convinced it was that on mine until the garage had a look at, cleaned the area up with a high pressure airline and spotted it was actually leaking from the rocker cover gasket. Also check the other pipework nearby, on mine the rubber had badly perished and was very badly cracked

If you do find its the injector, a new one from pug or cit will probably be about £50, or you could try here:http://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/, for a reconditioned one, at half the cost.

The injectors aparently start to need looking at around 100,000 miles, although thats the Haynes manual figure.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Mines done 200k now so maybe it is time for an overhaul :(

Will have a nosey ina bit but its definately fuel and not engine oil :(
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Return pipes will cause air leak problems if you have a Bosch pump. They are easie enough to replace - with the end cap. You need a pair of very long nosed pliers.

What's the point in increasing the fuel flow with a 2.1 fuel filter if you are not experiencing problems? Something somewhere is sure not to fit properly.

The black plastic fuel filters incorporate a fuel heater - which in turn has a thermostat controlling it. The thermostat can be seen at the bottom back left when looking at the filter on the engine - and over time its seals fail and it lets air in.
jeremy
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Can this thermostat be removed at all?