low reading water temp gauge

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

low reading water temp gauge

Post by Ross »

just did a 250 mile trip and noticed water temp gauge is reading lower than usual - normally both oil and water needles on the display are about horizontal on the dial - I checked the water level which was ok and I didnt have any problems but am a little worried as on previous cars when the water gauge reads low it has meant that I am losing water. It was a fast night run but I dont see the reading at this level usually (about a 1/4 up on the water temp gauge)
- Xantia vsx TD 94-
Incidentally I am losing a little water somewhere - its dry inside the car with no drips outside the car has done about 120k - is this likely to be head gasket ?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Fast night run in cool weather may cause a low indication.
Also check that the cooling fans aren’t spinning for no reason, as they often do on the Xantia.
Head gasket causing loss of water will cause the temperature to rise, rather than drop.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

In the event of water loss the gauge will only read cool when you have allready lost it!. If its not reading much lower I shouldn't worry about it, if it is check the thermostat, you can do this by putting your hand on the top of the radiator after starting from cold. The radiator should remain cold until the car has reached working temperature and then suddenly get hot as the thermostat opens. Or it could be that the temperature sensor is faulty.