steering gearing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

steering gearing

Post by tomsheppard »

The BX appears to need lots of twirling in order to turn in. I know that they understeer but the helm on mine seems amazingly low geared. Do any of the other models in the range have a "quicker" rack that fits? (Power steered '92 TGD estate)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Tom,
Are you referring to when you are travelling at speed or when you park or are manouvering?
If at speed, I'd suggest wheel alignment or massive understeer which would or should be curesd by a wheel alignment, if at slow speed I'd suggest looking for some massive wear within the steering gear such as the hardidisc. I drive a CX with diravi power steering and getting into a BX is akin to driving a go-kart by comparison.
Alan S
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

tyre wear is even so the alignment is ok. I am not experiencing any lost motion either. I suppose that it is a question of what you are used to.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

BX power steering is only 2.8 turns lock - lock, so should feel quite direct, as most cars are usually about 3.5 turns. I found it very rare that the BX needed more than 1/2 turn in normal driving. If you are getting more, then maybe you need to look at the state of the wishbone bushes, lower ball joints, track rod ends etc etc.
Richard