Xantia LHS drop link

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GB
My Cars:

Xantia LHS drop link

Post by GB »

I need to replace the LHS drop link in my Xantia by cutting the thread off.

The problem is that the current drop link is still the original (88K miles, completely worn out) and it appears that the previous owner already attemtped to replace it at some stage: as a result the bottom thread and allan key hole are both gone! :( There is absolutely no way that I can take the bottom washer off.

It appears that the only sollution is to cut the bottom thread and washer off.

Has anyone tried this before? Any hints or advice? Are there any other, better sollutions to this?

Regards,
GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

9 times out of 10 these have to be choped of with a grinderet,even when they have nott been got at,just grind through the nut
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Or if the thought of attacking your car with an angle grinder is not appealing, a junior hacksaw with a new, good quality blade will get the job done. An angle grinder is fast and effective though.

The hacksaw is especially good if you can move the nut a turn or two so that the blade will slip down behind the nut and just saw through the thread.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

No :shock:

I had this problem this weekend while replacing the bushes in the front lower arms. I knackered one of the drop links for the same reason as yourself (no allen key hole left). Tomorrow I am going to buy a Draper nut splitter and then replace my dop links as mine are also original. To get the nut to do up on one side I had to cut the rubber boot off the bottom droplink balljoint and use a mole rench on the bare joint which has probably f****d it and then retighten the nut so I can use the car tomorrow (my wife won't lend me her's she's got a reliable volkswagen) :roll:

so the moral of this story is buy a nut splitter :wink:

davetd
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

davetd wrote:so the moral of this story is buy a nut splitter :wink:

davetd
Thanks mate - good idea, just bought a nut splitter on Ebay. :-)

Cheers,
GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

most of the cheap nut sliters ars krap and the cutting tips are soft unhardend metal,especily DRAPER you will be very luky to be able to use it more than once
regards malcolm
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Totally agree, last name you want on tools is Draper, go for the Sykes Pickavant nut splitter, that will shift it and you will be able to use it again and again.

http://www.shacktools.com/sykespickavan ... -5474.html

Dave
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

Well the thought was there :lol:
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink