Heater Matrix NOT Leaking.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Evodad
My Cars:

Heater Matrix NOT Leaking.

Post by Evodad »

I've a '94 petrol Xantia that's done 178k miles.

The heater matrix seems fine.

What's the best way to keep it like that, regular flushing, high anti-freeze concentration etc.,?
Or is it just pot-luck?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think most of the time its down to the car over heating,presurising the coolant system causes them to go,and the main cause of over heating is rad fans not cutting in when they are supposed to
regards malcolm
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Use a good quality antifreeze with corrosion inhibitor and mix it with distilled water.
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Of those I've done so far, none of the actual metal matrix has failed, its allways been the bloody O rings between the matrix and its plastic inlet, these bits are screwed together, they ought to be a one piece moulding but this is Citroen so it aint.

Dave
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

Dave Burns wrote:Of those I've done so far, none of the actual metal matrix has failed, its allways been the bloody O rings between the matrix and its plastic inlet, these bits are screwed together, they ought to be a one piece moulding but this is Citroen so it aint.

Dave
thats exactly were mine went, i've done a few heater matrix's before but not on a cit and all of the others i've done the core had rotted away so i was amazed to find that the core was solid and that it was leaking from the o rings in the inlet joint, 10hrs work for a couple of leaky o rings :twisted:
Evodad
My Cars:

Post by Evodad »

Gents,
Thanks for all the info.

Are the O-rings you're talking about, the ones that are on the spigot ends of the flow & return hoses that push into the matrix?
I had to deal with those when I replaced the (cost a fortune) hoses.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

no, the top of the matrix that has the two pipes on it is in two halves and there are more o rings in the join, were you can't get to it, great design i've no idea why that the matrix should start to leak from there :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as i said earlyer i belive its down to the car running to hot for what ever reason,usualy rad fans not kicking in when they are ment to,most of the heater matrix i have replaced on citroens are leaking because the plastic end/s have come away frome the tubes of the matrix its self,and im fairly sure its caused by to much presure due to over heating
regards malcolm