ZX rear brakes / calipers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shezads

ZX rear brakes / calipers

Post by shezads »

Hi all,

Got a problem with my rear brakes binding. My 94 zx td volcane was off the road while I was abroad - from March to July this year.

Upon my return found the brakes had rusted up - got the car going again - and replaced the rear discs and pads - as the discs were worn anyway. Front pads/ discs seemed ok a bit rusty - but gently driven cleaned up ok.

The handbrake has been week for a while -got this sdjusted together with the new rear discs and put through its MOT - passed ok.

I've done about 3000 miles since and found the rear pads need changing again. The fuel economy had dropped significantly - to about 38 - 40 average from 42- 44.

I've checked and both sides on the rear seem to have worn more or less equally (the nearside a bit more then the other).

I suspect the handbrake has not been disengaging correctly, - so will new pads and the handbrake adjustment fix it?

Is there anyway of checking the operation of the rear calipers? As it seems both would have gone at the same time. Or is it something ese - rear brake hoses worn or something. I'am goning to get the mechanic to look - but don't want them changing calipers only to find the problem remains - as thats a bloody expensive way of fixing things!

If the calipers do need changing - worth looking at from the breakers - and if so will any 306 ones fit?

Thanks for your help.
Found my Alfa at Last!

04 156 2.4 JTD SW Veloce (Pics coming soon)

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

to check, jack the back of the car up, spin the wheel & gently pull on the handbrake.
to see if they are binding, go for a run & see how hot the rear wheels are, they should be warm but not so hot you could fry a egg!
or
while you have it jacked up you should be able to spin the wheel with virtually no resistance.
the calipers are a comon complaint for seezing, as long as you service them regualrly & use decent grease you shold be ok.
failing all that a mot station will be able to tell you if they are binding
shezads

Post by shezads »

Thanks for the quick reply.
One wheel (near side rear) is warmer then the others - and I can feel them bind now - when moving forward at very slow speed - creeping forward, can feel the back brakes biting. I think both sides are binding though - as when I had a look at the rear brakes over the weekend the pads looked low.
Found my Alfa at Last!

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the rear calipers are similar to BX and Xantia front ones. These slide and uneven pad wear is often due to the bearings on the slide breaking up. As a first check you can remove the pads and make sure the caliper does slide freely. Lubrication may help in the short term. Bearings may be available but its worth looking at the cost of recons from GSF or similar first.

Other possibilities are sticky or siezed cables, - from which drum braked ZX's do suffer and disc braked ones may use the same (very cheap) cables or the operating mechanism in the caliper. Instructions of overhaul may be in Haynes.
jeremy
shezads

Post by shezads »

I've often ondered whats the best place to buy parts other then gsf - for pricier stuff such as calipers etc. What about anywhere in France and getting stuff shipped over - should think it worthwhile if there was a contact over there!
Found my Alfa at Last!

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

here are a few names of motorfactors, you may have some near you:

Linco
Partco
GSF
ECP
Unipart (Same as Partco)
Brownes (Same as Unipart)

its also worth a quick scout round your local breakers, I have seen more than one car with what look to be reconed calipers on. (Also if you are really tight its a good place to find decent pads too)
shezads

Post by shezads »

Thanks - I'll get started tomorrow.
Found my Alfa at Last!

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

check the cables first as they tend to crack and stick,see if the levers on the callipers are coming of fully when the hand brake is off
regards malcolm
shezads

Post by shezads »

Does anyone know if calipers from a beringo, xsara 306 fit (front / rear)?
Found my Alfa at Last!

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

What's wrong with the proper ones?
jeremy
shezads

Post by shezads »

Just trying to increase the chances of finding one, at French car breakers - thats all. If I were to get one of a newish 306 for example *if they are the same) - may replace all four - as it would be worthwhile. To buy replacements at a factors - I'd be looking at say £250.
Found my Alfa at Last!

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Is there anything actually wrong with the existing calipers? If so - what?
jeremy
shezads

Post by shezads »

Binding calipers - will find out for sure tomorrow after the mechanic takes a look - but I'am looking at what parts I might need and trying to source them.

At worst I'll need calipers - which is why I'am looking at options.
Found my Alfa at Last!

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Rear wheel lock up on braking is very dangerous and great care must be taken when altering rear brakes to make sure that they don't lock prematurely.

Calipers for other applications may have different piston bore sizes - and hence different pressure on the pads and if larger will be more likely to lock.

Your car probably has some form of rear brake restrictor. There are a number used functioning in different ways. These may or may not be effective with a caliper exerting a pressure other than what they were designed for.

ABS may prevent rear wheel locking but it seems manufacturers don't rely on it to prevent locking. Motor cycle manufacturers may take a different view.
jeremy
shezads

Post by shezads »

Ok thanks for the warning - I was hoping for same model caliper - but I understand there may be differences.

Changed the front discs and pads todays - had a quick look at the rear - had not realised how much the rear n/s rear was rubbing so badly. Looks like it may be the handbrake cable seizing. Looks to be very rusty. Order a complete new cable - mechanic will be doing it on Wednesday.

Hopefullt that will sort it. Will find out for sure.
Thanks for all your help - much appreciated.
Found my Alfa at Last!

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD