Xantia Steering Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

camillerih
My Cars:

Xantia Steering Problem

Post by camillerih »

Dear all, I am new to this forum and I see that you are like a family . I have a Xantia 95 model Turbo diesel 1905cc and sometimes I feel that the steering vibrates a bit when still stationary this is when I brake or about to drive, what might be the problem, , the anti sinking sphere is faulty and I am about to change it , waiting for parts!!!! here in Malta you have to wait 3 weeks to get something , anyway any ideas are very welcome, thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The first thing to check is the hydraulic pump drive belt, it does all sorts of peculiar things if it slips, it needs to be very tight. The next thing would be the accumulator sphere, the one on the regulator just behind the radiator, the gearbox end.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The accumulator sphere wont have any affect on the steering on a 1995 model with anti-sink, due to the two output pump.

I've heard of a faulty HP pump causing the steering to pulse when it's turning under load, but it should never vibrate when the wheel is stationary and not being turned... are you sure its not just engine vibration (eg due to a stuffed engine mounting) finding its way through to the steering column ? Seems a likely possibility - especially on a diesel.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I stand corrected :oops: The pump was my next option.
camillerih
My Cars:

Post by camillerih »

Thanks for your prompt reply , I really feel at home, I have refurbished the fuel pump and also early this year I changed the seals on the LHM pump , might that my mech did not fix it well, might be....to say it all, I also recharged the accumulator Sphere and the anti sink one is out of pressure, I think...I ordered one. I 'll check about the belt and see...I'll keep you updated.