Xsara head gasket

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boroboy

Xsara head gasket

Post by boroboy »

Hi all again,
My 99 1.4 Xsara has a very minor oil leak coming from the head gasket (timing belt end), common fault I think. Has any one tried STP stop oil leak? It's suppose to rejuvenate seals & GASKETS. I've changed head gaskets in the past, would this be a first option? Has anyone used this before?

Thanks.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Hi Boroboy.

The head gasket leak is a common failure on this type of engine (the TU engine), the only fix will be to replace the head gasket.

The problem will be a split in the head gasket through the oil gallery just above the alternator, no magic cure will fix this!!

The oil stop leaks work by swelling the rubber seals slightly, this can sometimes work as a tempory measure for camshaft seals or any other rubber seals, but it aint permenant.

Years ago the same trick used to be done by adding a small amount of brake fluid to the engine oil, this will also swell the seals.

Regards
Slim
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

slim is corect,but dont wory as they are a very easy head to do ,you can even do them without jacking the car up and removing the O/S front wheel,as you dont have to remove the hole of the bottom pully,you just undo the three 10mm spanner size bolts and the outer part of the pully
regards malcolm
boroboy

Post by boroboy »

Slim,
Thanks for the advice.
boroboy

Post by boroboy »

Malcolm,
If I change the head gasket do I need to get the head skimmed or can I get away with just changing the gasket? I changed just the gasket on a Punto I once owned, never had any bother with it after that. With it being a very small oil seepage prob, thought the head would be OK, just gasket fault.

Thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

One of the reasons for a light skim is that it can be very difficult to get the head face really clean. If a light skim has been done you know its clean and flat.

Block face must be really clean too - ie shiny metal.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is always best to have alie heads skimed as they can become distorted on removal in just the same way as on refitting,and as Jeremy said it also helps to make sure there is non of the old gasket left and may be any corosion
regards malcolm
boroboy

Re: Xsara head gasket

Post by boroboy »

Hi guys,
Would there be any mileage in me trying to nip up the head bolts first? If I change the head gasket can I re-use the head bolts?

Thanks.