ZX Driveshafts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

ZX Driveshafts

Post by rossnunn »

Hi after spending a good 2 hours trying to get my ZX's hubnut off I took the whole hub & driveshaft off as one piece!
I can now confirm that the diesel driveshafts do not fit petrol gearboxes. They are not as far out as one might expect though, the spline is about 1 > 2mm bigger in diameter on the diesels.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Does anyone know if this info is right:

1.4 (Small Driveshafts)
Cannot split outer CV joint
Can split inner CV joint

1.9D (Large Driveshafts)
Can split outer CV joint
Can split inner CV joint

I've looked through the Hayes BOL but it doesn't make it very clear
(I think you can see where I'm going with this)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds about right to me...

Not too much of a problem though. If you want to replace a CV boot on the outer, a cone and stretchy boot makes the job easy and saves distrurbing the inner.

Take care if you do split the inner though, if the bearings fall off the tripod you are then faced with the job of carefully finding all the spilt needle rollers that fall out and reassembling the joint. Wrap it in something to prevent a fallapart...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I was thinking more along the lines of swapping the inner joints front the smaller onto the larger shafts, thus transfering the ABS ring on the outer joint onto a smaller engine gearbox