xantia abs light on?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dazza301

xantia abs light on?

Post by dazza301 »

have recently started doing some repairs to a friends xantia. It is a s reg sensation with an 1.8i twin cam engine. the question i have is that there is an orange light on on the dash the light is of a brake shoe and a car skidding on it. the book says that it is the abs light. the light is on permantly. now obviously i thought it was the abs playing up. but on removal of the nearside front wheel to inspect the sensor i found no sensor and no toothed ring on the driveshaft. and under the bonnet was no ecu for the abs which i assume from reading other threads on this topic was by the fuse box. i am assuming that there is no abs on this car. so does anyone know what is making this light illuminate and how to extinguish it. the brakes work fine and the car is due for and mot so this is why it is a problem your help would be much appreciated as this is the first time i have worked on a citroen. i am more of a peugeot man myself.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would have thought an Sreg xantia 1.8 16v should have ABS,i would check the other wheels to see if there are any sensors at all,if there are you will have already foud the problem,looks like someone has replaced the drive shaft with the wrong one
regards malcolm
slim123

Post by slim123 »

I had this myself once.

A car came in (Xantia) with the abs light on, owner said it just came on whilst driving, obvious suspect was a sensor gone, but on closer inspection there was no abs on the car!!

After contacting a few people and drawing blanks, the only course of action was to take the dash out and remove the bulb.

Regards
Slim
dazza301

Post by dazza301 »

thanks slim that was going to be my next course of action some of these things are sent to try us aren't they!!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the only problem with removing the bulb when it comes to MOT time,if the tester spots it realy has got ABS he will fail it as ABS faulty if the lamp dose not come on for a few seconds when ignition is switched on and then go out,as this is the ABS self test indication,can you not see the ABS ECU between the battery and the hydraulic tank and or the ABS unit under the tank,as im fairly certain being a 1.8 16V it would have been fitted,besides all of that it might show up that your car has ABS when the tester enters the cars details into the computer
regards malcolm
dazza301

Post by dazza301 »

explored more options with the car can't see any ecu or a big square block that looks like an abs unit can only see a small brake block with a green connector coming out of it. have cleaned this up light still on also looked at both front wheels and there are no toothed rings on either driveshaft no sensors or even any heat shields so i'm thinking it has no abs. but the light is still on. spent most of the afternoon reading a haynes manual in halfords and this sheds no light on the subject at all.
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

MOT tester cannot fail it for the ASB light not coming on, even if he does see it is fitted, ABS is not part of the test, he can only fail it on ABS if the light is ON...... Same goes with the Airbags, if the light doesn't come on he cannot fail it, if it wont go off then he can
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
slim123

Post by slim123 »

By far the most simple check is to lok at the ends of the drive shafts, as you have seen, no toothed band = no ABS.

Again look in at the dust sheilds inboard of the rear wheels, you should see a sensor going through at the end of the arm, no sensor = no ABS

If like the Xantia that I had in there is no ABS fitted, then all you can do is remove the bulb.

Yes I agree these things are sent to try us ](*,)

Regards
Slim
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

It seems a bit strange that an S-Reg car (1997/98/99?) wouldnt have ABS fitted and it seems even stranger that a car that hasnt had it fitted is driving without fault and then out of nowhere the fault appear when their was no sensors to begin with. :?

Ah, that'll be a Citroen :D
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i cant belive that an S reg 1,8 16V dose not have ABS fitted as standerd,im sure someone on here will be able to confirm this,also i will speek to my MOT tester to check the point as to whether no ABS light comming on is a fail if anmd when he knows the car has got ABS fitted,as im 99.9% sure it is
regards malcolm
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If it doesn't have ABS, what's operating the warning lamp (especially as it's not always been on)?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

What Car for November 97 shows that ABS was optional on LX models - 1.8i 16 valve, SD and TD. I don't imagine it was popular as an extra as it cost £910.
jeremy
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

jeremy wrote:What Car for November 97 shows that ABS was optional on LX models - 1.8i 16 valve, SD and TD. I don't imagine it was popular as an extra as it cost £910.
Ah, thats quite an added expense, that may well be the reason then!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
dazza301

Post by dazza301 »

so nobody seems to know what this light does or why it has lit up but whatever it is it is annoying.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Well, it shouldn't be too difficult to trace what's supplying the lamp.
It's possible that one of the internal diodes in the instrument panel has shorted, switching on a lamp which was fitted but never used.