Bought Xantia and have no keypad code

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I had the rubberised fronts of the keypad wear off
my TD 1.9 Xantia thus giving anyone a reasonable clue as to which numbers
to press
I understand it's often used by the criminal fraternity. I remember seeing a film (fiction) where the same technique was used to break into a room with keypoad entry. My bank's ATM used to have two worn buttons corresponding to two digits of my PIN, so perhaps they are common to all account holders at that branch or something!
(Apologies for threadjacking!)
HST

Post by HST »

dnsey wrote:
I had the rubberised fronts of the keypad wear off
my TD 1.9 Xantia thus giving anyone a reasonable clue as to which numbers
to press
I understand it's often used by the criminal fraternity. I remember seeing a film (fiction) where the same technique was used to break into a room with keypoad entry. My bank's ATM used to have two worn buttons corresponding to two digits of my PIN, so perhaps they are common to all account holders at that branch or something!
(Apologies for threadjacking!)
Not just common to your branch. In the early days of ATMS in the UK there was a scam (by naughty people in the industry) that has only been made public relatively recently. There were only 3 bank supplied PINs. i.e all cards had one of three PINs. This meant that if the criminal fraternity cloned a card they could always get the card to work, as ATMs give you 3 attempts.

This was the reason for the phantom withdrawals that many people experienced and banks blamed customers for.

It was only made public after the introduction of chip & PIN cards that couldn't be cloned in the same way.