mod on ebay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mallyg
My Cars:

mod on ebay

Post by mallyg »

I have seen a posting on ebay that says it can boost your performance by 25 BHP. Are these for real or just a gimmick.

M Reg Xantia 1.81
1995 Xantia 1.8i Dimension
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

What is the mod?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sure you did not mis-read it ?
Should be at least 250 Bhp ?

There are ohmic resistors sold in "goldplated" packs ready to provide you "loads" of extra power. They work by increasing the engine temp sensor resistance, fooling the ECU to think the engine is cold. This makes for a constant choke function providing extra petrol - constantly.
At best it will indeed give you a tiny boost.
But at a cost of a constanly higher emissions and fuel consumption.

Must be compared with the toilet paper filter packs sold years ago - claiming you never had to replace your engine oil again.
Or the resistor to put in series with your ignition cable to "up" the spark power.
Or the blinking LED devices claiming to stop any corrosion in your car.
Or the magic stick to dip down the petrol filler neck to constantly catalyst more power to the engine.
Or the electronic computer chips to glue on the valve rocker cover - providing you with at least 25 Kangoo points - pr device.
Or - etc.. etc..

If just a single one of these devices did what they claim to do - they would already be fitted from factory ...
That would be much cheaper than doing the elaborate investing in any further engine developments.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

.... or the tablets that you put in your fuel tank, or magnets round the fuel line or .... Do you remember steam injection?
mallyg
My Cars:

Post by mallyg »

The posting reads "You would be buying a Performance Boost Resistor, which would add 5-20 BHP to your engine. it will fit anymake and model fuel injected vehicle that has an ECU, but not turbo or diesel models. it takes about 5 minutes to fit, and can be removed without any adverse effect to your engine. so you can put it in your next car.

all you do is attach the resistor to the inlet air temperature sensor, which connects to the ECU. the ECU then alters the ignition timing slightly, which is what gives you the boost in power. this will, however, result in you using a little more fuel.

for your money you will get the resistor and a copy of the universal fitting guide. if you are unsure about fitting it, then get someone with a bit of mechanical knowledge to help you, as i cannot be held responsible for wrongly fitted items"
1995 Xantia 1.8i Dimension
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

STEER CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't touch this with a barge pole - stands every chance you'll either bugger up your cat, or cause premature bore wear of the engine due to excessive petrol...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Putting a resistor in the air sensor would indeed alter the fuel/air ratio but as it will allready have been set to the optimum by the manufacturers, as would the timing, I cant see anything but degraded performance/emmisions resulting.
robyoz

Post by robyoz »

Just like the fuel cats that were supposed to improve bhp and mpg acting like you had a gas flowed head remember these were tested in which? magazine and made no difference at all as most people say they would be fitted from the factory if any good. :!:
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

Peter.N. wrote:.... or the tablets that you put in your fuel tank, or magnets round the fuel line or .... Do you remember steam injection?
i've got some of them magnets around my fuel line i think it's called a ioniser no idea if it works or not as it was fittied when i bought thr car :P
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Well, they obviously hasn't done it any harm. :)