Citroen ZX - Broken Bleed Nipples.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alanshep

Citroen ZX - Broken Bleed Nipples.

Post by alanshep »

Hello.

I'm in the process of trying to get this ZX back on the road but the bleed nipples on both front calipers are broken. On this particular car (though not on my other ZX) the beed nipples are actually screwed into a bolt which is then screwed into caliper body.

I have removed the bolts (complete with broken bleed nipple) from both sides. I had a go today at removing one of the broken nipples with a stud extractor - inevitable outcome - 1 broken stud extractor!

I wasn't too bothered because I thought I'd be able to buy the bolt and new nipple complete.

I visited a few shops later (including GSF) but nobody seemd to recognise the bolt.

Does anybody know if I'll get this part from the main dealer?

Thanks.

Alan.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Alan -

The ZX models have several different variants of front brake calipers fitted.
Please fill in your member account profile which model(s) you have - as you have asked about a couple of different cars in the past :wink:
Must be the exact year/ model designation / engine (original) fitting for identifying parts.

typical Girling brakes :
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 512350.gif
typical Bendix brakes :
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 512200.gif

There are no bolts in which the bleed nipples fits. Believe this could be a repair insert for the nipples fitted. In this case you are out of the standard spareparts lists - you have to search on general parts for car bodge repairs.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

correct procedure for getting stubborn bolts out is to drill down the bolt with progressively wider drills until there is only the thread left. Often the vibration etc from the drilling will loosen the bolt or nipple the remains of which can be unscrewed leaving the thread undamaged.

Variations on the theme are to use heat - if you've got the bolt carrying the nipple off the car this will be easy. Theory is metal expands when hot - and in a circle it expands outwards. Bolt therefore will expand more than the nipple - breaking the grip. DO NOT quench the bolt in a bucket of cold water or similar - if you do it will probably shrink!

Other forms of heat can be used - welding nuts on the nipples with a MIG welder is pupular and causes considerable heat to travel down the nipple, expanding it, and breaking the seal.
jeremy
alanshep

Post by alanshep »

Thanks for the response.

Anders, I've filled in my profile (I hope) as requested. I think you're probably right about this be being a repair.

You can get things like this:-

http://www.bsr-aerotek.com/store/produc ... ts_id=2566

for motorcycles. This is similar to what has been fitted to these calipers but the bolt is much shorter because it doesn't have the 'banjo' take off.

Seems like a really good idea to me providing replacment bolts are available.

Thanks.

Alan.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you are really stuck, you can bleed the brakes by slackening the the feed pipe union - assuming that hasn't siezed as well!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ok Alan - good luck with the bike bolt :wink:

- I meant you to fill your cars specifications into the larger free text window designated "Signature" in your profile.
When you do this the text there will show up automatically each time you submit a post.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Peter.N. wrote:If you are really stuck, you can bleed the brakes by slackening the the feed pipe union - assuming that hasn't siezed as well!
We did this on a old ZX we had many moons ago, pedal wasn't as good as it used to be but it stopped fine & passed its MOT's fine.