ZX: Retrofitting c/locking plip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Village
My Cars:

ZX: Retrofitting c/locking plip

Post by Village »

How difficult is it to retrofit remote central locking to a ZX? Is it just a matter of getting hold of the reciever unit and matching plip and plug it all in?

Cheers
Pete
French car free zone....
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Hmm, does your zx already have Central Locking with the standard small plipper, with it being 97' I imagine it should!

So assuming that, like my previous ZX I wanted to upgrade the central locking so that I could unlock as I walked to the car, rather than having to fiddle for 10 minutes up against the window to get it to work. I bought a device off ebay for about £20 which Wilkobob fitted in underneath the dashboard where the fuses lay, and just attached it to the wires which go through the door loom.

It worked for quite a while, and could even unlock the thing in a pub, ok so not a genuis idea but it was fun. Eventually it started to fail, so I ripped it out and mums back to using the standard original little plipper.

However, if your car doesnt have any central locking to begin with then the above does not apply to you and I have just ranted on for Nothing!!!! I hope your happy hehehehehe
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

Thanks for the rant Mez.

My car has central locking but it's not remote. The overhead panel with the light and electric sunroof switch has the dome for the IR plip but theres nothing above it. My zx is fairly poverty spec (except the leccy sunroof) without abs or leccy windows (or the adjustable rear seat).

so not sure if your comments (ok, rant) are applicable.

But thanks for sharing......
French car free zone....
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Ok so you have central locking which you use via a key! Because you dont have a plipper? But the receiver dome is in place at the sunroof area?

If thats the case then I believe you can just get a plipper and use some form of programme method to link it to the already present dome (holding it close and pressing the button randomly while shouting "COME ON YOU F*CKER" in a Lee Evans way).

However if the expects say thats not the case, then I believe it is quite simple to get a replacement dome and plipper off ebay.
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

So assuming that, like my previous ZX I wanted to upgrade the central locking so that I could unlock as I walked to the car, rather than having to fiddle for 10 minutes up against the window to get it to work. I bought a device off ebay for about £20 which Wilkobob fitted in underneath the dashboard where the fuses lay, and just attached it to the wires which go through the door loom.

What box of tricks was this? Did you still use the standard Citroen IR key?
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

No, it came with 2 blippers.

Some of the slightly more expensive units have additional buttons on the blippers so you can hock it up to the boot and alarms and such.

But I'm tight so just had the standard lock/unlock.

The box itself acts as the receiver and because it uses the radio frequency like modern day cars you can unlock it from quite a distance and in the house.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KE200-REMOTE-COMM ... dZViewItem

The above item is to upgrade a car that already has central locking whether or not you had the original plipper like me or just used a key like Village. This means that the original plipper will still work but you have to use it in the same way (up close and personal to the window), whereas once fitted you can use the new plippers from a long distance.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REMOTE-CENTRAL-LO ... dZViewItem

^^ This item is to upgrade a car that doesnt have Central Locking to make it HAVE central locking, obviously is more expensive as theres more parts required.
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

Interesting. I wonder if it could be hooked up to the deadlocks on my Xantia, as lets be honest the car would be a doddle to break into without the deadlocking.

Maplins sell a similar kit (of sorts) IIRC.

P.S Village - I have a spare reciever if your interested (for free).
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

Ok so you have central locking which you use via a key! Because you dont have a plipper? But the receiver dome is in place at the sunroof area?
Yes.
Correct.
Yes, but it's just the plastic dome, there's nothing behind it.

I've seen a plip/reciever combo on fleabay: item #300022574100, and wanted to know if it was just a matter of plugging it in and off it goes?

SB: I might well be interested......watch this space
French car free zone....
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I thought that was the case Village, I cant see why it would present a problem buying a dome (with the circuitry) and a plipper.

These upgrade kits can allow you to use deadlocking with the 'new' plippers, just make sure it is an option on the box as it will be an extra wire of sorts.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

easy, go up the breaks & see if you can find a set of keys with a blipper on (if your lucky) get them & the recivier in the roof & the loom that runs down the pillar to the passengers footwell, it then just plugs into the exsisting loom down there.
I did it to my Elation when I first got it.