Xantia - Aux. drivebelt tensioner roller change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

swiss_steve
My Cars:

Xantia - Aux. drivebelt tensioner roller change

Post by swiss_steve »

Hi folks,

I've got a dreadful squealing noise from my car when it is cold and running at idle or up to 1500 rpm (then dies off at higher revs or slowly as the engine warms up).

I'm convinced it's the aux belt tensioner-roller that is causing the noise and hence ready to replace it.

I went to my Citroen dealer who quoted me GBP120 for a new roller set and said I would need the tensioner-spring also (I've got a copy of the Citroen Parts catalogue as a 'jpg' file, but don't know how to attach it to this post; I can e-mail it to anyone who can help)....

Now I’ve taken the belt off recently (to do a cambelt change) and know that the tension on the spring is really formidable.

Question: has anyone had any experience of changing this sprung tensioner-roller and any ideas how I can safely change the part? I’m worried both about what happens when you remove the part from the car - i.e. as you release the spring tension; and how you re-install the part – and conversely putting the tension back in to the spring!

There must be way of doing this safely otherwise the Citroen garage wouldn’t be prepared to do it for me (at an inflated cost, you understand!).

Any ideas, anybody?.....[/img]
Proud owner of two Citroens:-
'R' reg 1998 Xantia 1.9 TD Temptation Estate.
'N' reg 1996 ZX 1.9 TD Aura Estate.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I bought the entire roller and its mounting but the HP pump appeared to need to come off so I just used the pulley which was just a one bolt job.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Can you buy just the pulley? And how much?
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Hi Stewart: Unfortunately, I've got to change the HP pump on my car anyway because my steering and system is showing signs of a weak pump (that's another story); so removing that part can be done at the same time. However, you said you bought the whole thing (I've been quoted GBP 71.69 for the Roller and GBP 54.89 for the spring - all plus VAT) - is that about the same as you paid?

Finally, do I assume correctly from your reply that these two parts come as a complete assembly? i.e. it can be easily removed as an assembly from the car without worrying about the spring tension on the roller?

Cheers,

Steve
Proud owner of two Citroens:-
'R' reg 1998 Xantia 1.9 TD Temptation Estate.
'N' reg 1996 ZX 1.9 TD Aura Estate.