2.1td coolant bleed screw

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davethewheel

2.1td coolant bleed screw

Post by davethewheel »

just changed the coolant on my 1997 xantia 2.1td and according to the manuel it should have around 8 litres in there, so i've drained and flushed it but can only seem to get around 5 or 6 litres of fluid in there, are there any bleed points on a 2.1td, i can't see any, not sure if it will have any as the expansion tank is higher up than on a 1.9td :)
deian

Post by deian »

one is near the bulkhead (behind the drivers side) where the pipes leading to the matrix are, (it has a normal car tyre valve that you can open by hand) it's quite tight to get to if you have small hands, and the other is near the fuel filter, they are there, i took some time to find them too, there is no real issue with bleeding on them since the expansion tank is on the highest level, you just fill up with water and open the bleed valves until water comes out of them starting with the lowest, good luck
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

thanks for that deian i'll have a look in the morning, i thought i had found one near the fuel filter but it turned out to be the fuel drain.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: 2.1td coolant bleed screw

Post by JohnD »

davethewheel wrote: according to the manuel it should have around 8 litres in there, so i've drained and flushed it but can only seem to get around 5 or 6 litres of fluid in there, :)
Unless you also drain the block, you won't actually get all the old coolant out. I believe the drain is on the rear of the engine. Personally, I've never bothered.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Because of the design of the 2.1 head, with the thermostat in the return side, its almost impossible to get an air lock, unlike the 1.9 in which it is obligatory! Just keep pouring the water in until it wont take any more.
deian

Post by deian »

i drained the block, the screw is located up behind the engine in the back and when you open it water comes gushing out all over the place, you will be covered in oil and coolant and your will most probably be hitting your hands and wrists, it's not impossible, if you do decide to do this better to wear a mask and some dirty clothes and gloves.

as for impossible to get airlock in the 2.1, i totally agree, i had NO trouble what so ever with bleeding and overheating due to airlocks, you'll smile when it all works in the end and wonder why other cars haven't been designed so thoughtful (except the engine drain plug of course).
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

Peter.N. wrote:Because of the design of the 2.1 head, with the thermostat in the return side, its almost impossible to get an air lock, unlike the 1.9 in which it is obligatory! Just keep pouring the water in until it wont take any more.
cool i'll just leave it alone then, i remember the last time i did my 1.9td when i screwed the plastic cap back on it split in half, i'm not having much luck with cars at the moment i changed the strut tops yesterday, and managed to pull the driveshaft out of my 1.9td and oil ran out all over my drive and the missus aint to happy :lol:
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Loads of sand and then loads of fairy liquid will sort it out :D if not just bitumen spray the drive.