Xantia Comfort Spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davetd
My Cars:

Xantia Comfort Spheres

Post by davetd »

Hi all

How can I tell if my mk1 '93 Xantia already has comfort spheres ? is there a marking to denote this.

If I don't have them are they freely available ? and how does cost compare with standard ?

And finally are these an aftermarket idea or a Citroen option?

Regards

davetd
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The comfort option was offered on new cars, but is not that widely known by parts suppliers.
The spheres have a different damping rate and (in some cases) a higher pressure (counter-intuitively, higher pressure gives a softer ride).
You can tell what yours are by comparing the part numbers stamped on them with the standard fitting for your model and year, but they're likely to be standard type. If they're still the originals, new replacements will dramatically improve the ride anyway!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

GSF list comfort spheres for the XM, I have them on mine, but I have not seen them listed for the Xantia. An alternative way would be by comparing it with one fitted with standard spheres, just 'bounce' each corner, with the engine running, the damping will be softer, but as dnsey says, if they have done any ammount of miles even new new standard ones will improve the ride.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 137,000 Non Anti-Sink
Your trim level SX only has the basic 5/6 number of spheres, and since it doesnt have anti-sink that means it has the minimum number of 5.

Comfort spheres and the fancy pants extras were only added to the VSX models.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(