Diesel (XU9D) idle problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

karlsdispatch

Diesel (XU9D) idle problems

Post by karlsdispatch »

Hi

Got the pug 306 diesel engine in my dispatch now, plumbed in everything, connected a new wire from the new Lucas pump to the ignition switch to by pass the keypad immobilisor, pumped the squezzy primer, warmed the glow plugs, turned the key and it started straight away, but then stopped? Bit of air in the fuel perhaps? Tried again pumping the squezzy primer......starts fine, idles for about 5-10secs then shakes and stalls. If you keep squezzing the (very hard) primer then the engine will keep idling (though not as smoothly as it should). Another point is that when I press the accelerator it sounds like its flooding and stalls. Please not that this engine and pump is from another vehical and was working fine? Could it be that the diesel in my tank is old as its been stood for about 3 months? Also, if I run the engine, and take of from the pump the diesel return pipe, no fuel is coming out of the pump? Should it be? If I hold my finger over the outlet, pressure builds up, but its air, not fuel?

Any Ideas? Surley it cant be just air?

Regards

Karl
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Air, air, air, air, air ... :twisted:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
karlsdispatch

Post by karlsdispatch »

Hi

So what in your opinion is the best way to remove the air?

Thanks

Karl
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I think Anders is telling you that your pump is drawing in air instaed of fuel, check all the pipes and other connections back to your tank..
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

To remove the air you must find the leak in the fuel system where the air comes in.

Look for rusty fuel lines under the car. A small wet spot on the lines tells about a pin hole from rust. Replace the fuel line.
Look for surface cracking on rubber hoses. If you find any - replace the hose.
The primer bulb itself may be rotten in the rubber.

Check, check & re-check the fuel filter and fuel line connections. Most often you have a problem here. Any small imperfection in the filter's seals or fitting will cause a leak.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
karlsdispatch

Post by karlsdispatch »

Hi

Ok, however I never had ay problems of air in the fuel with my previous engine so I think I can safely rull out the pipework under the van and the tank connections. I may by pass the filter and use a clear filter temporarily. See if this makes any difference and if anything, may show some bubbles. Could there be an air lock in the pump? Is there a bleeder on the Lucas pump apart from the one on the fuel inlet? When this is opened, the engine stalls.

Many Thanks

Karl
karlsdispatch

Post by karlsdispatch »

Hi

The other point is, when reconnecting the fuel plumbing to the filter housing, I used an exploded diagram which I got from Citroen when ordering a new part. It shows the inlet from the tank (through the primer) going to the bottom of the filter, and the outlet from the filter to the pump is at the top? This is how ive plumbed it, however, is this a mistake, surely the filter housing needs to be full so that the fuel can run out of the bottom to the pump, not the top?

Just a thought

Karl
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as you have had it running the only air wich could be in the system now will be comeing in costantly,an other thing to check is the seal between the thermostat housing and fuel filter housing,this can let air in and the last time i fitted one it was about £5 squide from citroen
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Has the fuel filter been changed lately? Because if partially blocked it will increase the ammount of suction required to lift the fuel which will make it more prone to sucking in air.
2512Steve
My Cars:

Post by 2512Steve »

AndersDK wrote:To remove the air you must find the leak in the fuel system where the air comes in.

Look for rusty fuel lines under the car. A small wet spot on the lines tells about a pin hole from rust. Replace the fuel line.
Look for surface cracking on rubber hoses. If you find any - replace the hose.
The primer bulb itself may be rotten in the rubber.

Check, check & re-check the fuel filter and fuel line connections. Most often you have a problem here. Any small imperfection in the filter's seals or fitting will cause a leak.
My neighbour had the same problem with his 306, turned out he had a hole in the primer bulb. Replaced the primer bulb and everything was fine. :roll:

Regards,
Steve
(Current) '96 Xantia 1.9TD Est, 148,000 miles
(Past) '89 Peugeot 205 1.9D Hatch
'90 BX1.9D Est x2
'89 BX1.9D Hatch
B4 going diesel:
Vx Ventora 3.3, Victor 3300 Est, Triumph 2000 Est, Jaguar Mk V11M, Ford’s; Cortina Mk 1 1500 x4, Anglia 997
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would have thought if there is a hole in the primer you would get a hand full of diesel when squeezing it
regards malcolm
karlsdispatch

Post by karlsdispatch »

Hi

Another thing I noticed is that when you open the water in fuel screw at the bottom of the filter, diesel comes out straight away. before it only came out when you squeezed the primer. Speaking to a friend, he reckons its a fault here, maybe due to a seal on the fuel filter, which is actualy new.

Thanks

Karl
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Might be worth checking that fuel filter oring is intact. It also might be worth trying another filter. I had one thats was brand new and absolute rubbish and it was the same as those i normally get. The Oring seal on the filter had come loose so loose it fell off when i opened up the fuel filter. I changed it for a filter which has a plastic top and intergral oring and what a difference.

BUt if the fuel is coming out once you open the water drain valve it is worth remembering it could be anything from the bulb to the injection pump where the air is coming in not just limited to the fuel filter houseing.

Personally i would check the fuel filter, if thats ok change the pipe between the fuel filter and injection pump, if that doesnt fix it take the fuel filter off and check the seal underneath and replace if necessary. If that doesnt fix it change the priming bulb and fuel pipe from the bulb to the fuel filter housing. Ie the easiest and most likely jobs first.
406 lx 1.9td estate
karlsdispatch

Post by karlsdispatch »

Hi

Thanks

I have changed several of the pipes and have used new jubilee clips. The bulb seems fine, I have another filter which I shall change as soon as the rain stops! Failing that I may by pass temporarily the filter. What stops the fuel coming out of the water bleed screw when it is opened? Is it just due to vacume, hence I have an ai leak?

Many Thanks

Karl
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Yup the vacuum keeps the fuel from pouring out of the filters houseing when you undo the water drain. Some leaks out but not much. There is a definite difference between it being air tight and not.

If you bypass the filter be carefull any water bits in the fuel will mess up the injectors. but if it works with the bypass then you know its the filter
406 lx 1.9td estate