xantia rear spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steveleese

xantia rear spheres

Post by steveleese »

Can anyone tell me if the rear spheres can fail within a couple of days as the xantia i have went from great to hard and bumpy in about 4 days.the car is a 1997 1.8 LXI hatchback.I test drove the car on wednesday and it was fine drove it home on thursday it was fine but by monday it was aweful very hard and uncomfortable
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Welcome to the Forum:

Overall I dont see how spheres can fail over 4 days, but then it depends (possibly) on your opinion of how well the ride was originally!

Have you owned a previous Hydra car? (Not greek mythology)

Better left to the experts me think, however I think something along the lines of the plastic linkage (height corrector) area.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

If the internal membrane in the sphere fails then the deterioration in performance/ride is fairly rapid.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

rory_perrett wrote:If the internal membrane in the sphere fails then the deterioration in performance/ride is fairly rapid.
For assumption purposes only, if the membrane had just 'failed' overnight then what would have caused this sudden failure, if indeed its as simple as that?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

was there any diferance in ride hight at the time the ride became hard,if the ride was very good before it is unlikly its you spheres gone all of a suden,i would check the plastic link and also see if the other linkage is seized
regards malcolm
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Bet the plastic link has popped off!!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have a had a new sphere fail after a few days, not a common occurrance but it can happen.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Do the Cit-aerobics :idea:

Up & down with the suspension to its extremes in height. Do it about 5 times - and NOT while driving. (you have been warned :roll: )

This will flush the suspension system and draw any air back to the reservoir where it vents out. Air in the fluid side of the suspension causes hard & bumpy suspension - because it introduces a spring element on the "wrong" side of the system - which make the suspension hammer against the sphere membrane.

The air comes in when the system is opened during sphere change etc.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
steveleese

xantia rear spheres more

Post by steveleese »

the ride seems a little lower at the rear now that its hard and bumpy and the headlights are slightly higher on the road as a result also when i checked the fluid level of the tank under the bonnet the disc was above the two red markers
mezuk04
My Cars:

Re: xantia rear spheres more

Post by mezuk04 »

steveleese wrote:the ride seems a little lower at the rear now that its hard and bumpy and the headlights are slightly higher on the road as a result also when i checked the fluid level of the tank under the bonnet the disc was above the two red markers
So you have done "Citaerobics"?
&
Checked the plastic linkage underneath in the middle of the anti-roll bar?

If so, maybe it could be due to failed/worn out spheres!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

did you check the float level with the car up on its highest setting on level ground,if so the only problem might be a bit of fluid seepage out of the top of the tank,it will not cause any problem with the ride,also if you check the things that have been mentioned in this topic and report to us your findings,we might be able to decide what the fault is
regards malcolm
steveleese

xantia rear spheres

Post by steveleese »

I have just been and checked the plastic clip witch is in place and lowered and raised the car 5 times on the lever and the car lowers and raises fairly quickly a little groan as it got to the top the first couple of times.I am a first time Citroen driver but when i tested the car i went over several speed bumps and it felt fine now the back of the car is bouncy so i think i will replace the rear spheres and hope for a good improvement thanks for all of your replies
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

If the membrane in a sphere fails you should see a drop in level of LHM as it fills the sphere (replacing the gas that was in there). Conversly when you take off a failed sphere it will be full of the green stuff......

regards
sean
1996 XM 2.1 TD exclusive
steveleese

xantia rear spheres update

Post by steveleese »

just to say thanks for all comments and advice. I have replaced the rear spheres with new ones topped up the LHM and it's wonderfull a pleasure to drive so thanks again