Wierd-ish Xantia blower motor problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reddeathdrinker

Wierd-ish Xantia blower motor problem

Post by reddeathdrinker »

And no, it's not a dodgy ignition switch ;)

Blower started working intermittently, then it just got less and less likely that it would run at all.

Car is a '96 2.0l 16v petrol, with air-con. After ripping the steering column to bits to check the ignition switch, I then went to pull the blower itself.

On the blower itself there's 1 plug, a 4-pin, taking the feed and earth to the resistor pack (actually mounted on the motor itself), and I assume the speed control wiring. Then there's a red and black wire from the resistor pack to the motor itself. Looks like the feed from the resistor pack to the motor had overheated (all black and crusty, crimp cover melted - all classic signs!) at the resistor pack end.

Soooooo.... would I be right in thinking a trip to the scrappy is in order for a replacement motor, as the resistor pack is in-built to the motor?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!
'96 Xantia 2.0i 16v SX Estate
andmcit
My Cars:

Re: Wierd-ish Xantia blower motor problem

Post by andmcit »

reddeathdrinker wrote:so..a trip to the scrappy is in order for a replacement motor, as the resistor pack is in-built to the motor?
Yep. Sounds likely! Don't forget the one you're after is different to most as it's for an air con car - they're different with/without ac!

Andrew
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

If the resistor pack was faulty the blower motor would run constantly at max speed... (if it was the resistor pack that was faulty it is easy to replace the two resistors..)
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

I bet it IS the ignition switch, it's just that you've found the melted crimp during your investigation ;)
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I suppose it could be the motor... brushes etc, but i'm with LeeDJC... how did you eliminate the ignition switch??
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Best way (in my opinion) to check the ignition switch. Is to remove the cover underneath the drivers side dash, find the brown plug with the thick brown wires going to it. Unplug it, then bridge the plug closest to the centre console. If it all works fine when bridged then it's the ignition switch.

There is a diagram knocking about of how to do a proper repair somewhere on the forum...no doubt someone will shortly post a link ;)
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its got aircon the chances are that its got a transistor regulator mounted on the motor. The classic symptoms for transistor failure are intermittent operation. The system only goes to permanant full speed when the transistors go short circuit, they are more likely to go open circuit. They can be replaced with the aid of a drill and soldering iron, the type number you will find on my signature. Although the scrap yard would the easiest option if you have one locally.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

LeeDJC wrote:a diagram knocking about ... someone will shortly post a link
:mrgreen:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17322

http://www.geocities.com/tricky992002/fanmod.xls
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
reddeathdrinker

Post by reddeathdrinker »

LeeDJC wrote:Best way (in my opinion) to check the ignition switch. Is to remove the cover underneath the drivers side dash, find the brown plug with the thick brown wires going to it. Unplug it, then bridge the plug closest to the centre console. If it all works fine when bridged then it's the ignition switch.

There is a diagram knocking about of how to do a proper repair somewhere on the forum...no doubt someone will shortly post a link ;)
I did exactly that - The ignition switch is fine, I checked its resistance, and then measured the voltage passing through it. As Peter N. says, it's sounds exactly like the transistors mounted on the motor, and it displays the classsic syptoms as mentioned. Aso appears to have been a spot of water ingress in the motor (dried up rusty sediment round where the relay sits)
'96 Xantia 2.0i 16v SX Estate
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If it Were the ignition switch then surely the rear demister would be acting up too!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(