xantia hydraulic pipes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

xantia hydraulic pipes

Post by john alexander »

Hi there , I have just burst a pipe on my xantia 1.9td 1996 estate, its the third one in from the nearside ( the front to back pipes) its burst under the diesel tank . now for the questions, can anyone tell me where the ends go , how hard are they to change , is it worth while buying a flaring tool compared to buying the pipes from a main dealer. answers to these and any other relevent questions will be gratefully received thanks in advance, john.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Flaring tool, roll of pipe, Bag of fittings and seals.

Gets my vote every time.

If you go to a main stealer, you will have to order the pipe wait for stocks to arrive only to find out that the spotty oik in the stores has ordered the wrong one!!

With a flaring tool and a roll of pipe you can make your own up anytime you want to, or need to.

Regards
Slim
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi where can I buy a flaring tool that does citroen pipes
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

pliades,or you can buy a roll of pipe from GSF im not sure if they do the flairing tool,but i would go the route of new pipe from citroen as they are not usualy very expensive,which ever way you go just make sure the replacment pipe dose not touch or rub on any thing once it is in place
regards malcolm
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

thanks citronut, thats the problem the pipe burst where it rubbed against the clips on the plastic tray, the same tray thats meant to protect them!!!! Regards john
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Give Pleiades a call on 01487 831239, They can sort you out with a tool, pipes, fittings, seals and pipe joiners.

As you have already seen, when you fit a pipe, make sure that it dont rub against anything, also if the original pipe had a clip, put the clip back on the new pipe, they are all there for a good reason.

The main causes of pipe failure are, pipes rubbing and vibration due to not being clamped down. This is even more common than rust.

Regards
Slim
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi slim , just ordered the gear from plaeides, about £75. priced a pipe from citroen £95. quoted £800 to £900 to replace the four at local cit independant. bit of a no brainer. regards john.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is the £95 for the pipe just the pipe or for fitting as well,as the pipes are normaly no more than about £15/20 squide each from citroen,and the price you have got for fitting all 4 sounds way over the top,i used to fit a set of bx front to rear and the ones across the rear subframe for £250,and that was lowering the rear subframe as well
regards malcolm
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi the price of £95 was for pipe only, last week I bought the offside rear strut pipe it cost £11.50. anyway ordered the gubbins from plieades yesterday afternoon and it dropped through the letterbox at nine thirty this morning, excellent service. thanks john.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that must have been the hole set of front to rear pipes as i have just looked on pr.net
pipes
5270.Y0=£20.33
5270.E2=£7.29
5270.98=£27.84
5270.99=£6.20
5270.E3=£5.33

TOTAL=£67.08

all of these prices are trade inc vat,im not sure if they are exact for your model but as far as i can see they are for a standerd system,so it sounds like your price of £95 squide is retail for the hole set not just for one pipe
regards malcolm
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi citronut , the pipe I got last week was 5270A3 £9.76 + vat , £11.47. When I priced the pipes I asked for the price for the dearest one and was quoted £90 odd. Anyway thats it back on the road now. I registered for pr-net but have trouble navigating through it , when I open a diagram it only opens in a very small box , is there an idiots guide to pr-net. regards john.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Not seen a guide for PR-net. And the online help is useless for anything else not parts related.

Have you tried pick up the corners of the small window with your mouse - and then drag the corner of the window to size it ? I.e. the common "both directions" arrow.

BTW : be sure you disable any pop-up stopper running on your PC.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

no John
im not sure as i just use it in the form it comes up in,althogh you can increase and decrease the magnification on the exploded diagram box,besides that price seems a bit excessive for just one pipe
regards malcolm