Wheel Balancing - Xantia Exclusive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NeilPye
My Cars:

Wheel Balancing - Xantia Exclusive

Post by NeilPye »

Does anyone else have problems getting their Xantia Exclusive Alloys (the ones without a centre hole) balanced properly? Every time I have a new tyre I have to return to the fitters at least twice to rebalance - don't think he likes me anymore!!
The wheels are 6J x 15. Could standard Xantia steel wheels be fitted instead but with the 205 60 R15 tyres? If so, anyone got any?
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Getting the centreless wheels balanced can be a problem but that’s usually finding someone who will do them. I’ve got them on my Xantia Exclusive and also on our new (to us) Xsara. I have found two places (one near home and a Kwikfit near work) that will do them both of which seem to get to right first time.

Just as an aside, my experience with Kwikfit is you need to find a co-operative centre manager who is prepared to spend the time changing the mandrel on the machine.

If you are having problems the I would possibly suspect his machine (or the way he is setting it up for centreless wheels) or you have a bent rim.

For the past few years I have had access to a tyre changing machine but not a balancer. Great for buying tyres cheap of the internet. This has meant I have often fitted tyres and then run round on them for a few days (sometimes weeks) before getting them balanced. Of the 4 sets I’ve changed none have felt that bad, and I do a lot of motorway driving, that I just had to get them balance.

Can’t remember off the top of my head but isn’t the spare a steel wheel with the same sized tyre on it. Remember the wheel bolts for the alloys are different to those for normal Xantia steel wheels – the Xantia Exclusive spare is obviously different and uses the same bolts as the alloys.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Yes they are areal pain in the butt.... Peugeot of course suffer the same problem. I found that my local Citroen Dealer takes it's cars to the local Peugeot Dealer to get the tyres balanced on customers cars. Try asking your Cit Dealer where to get your tyres balanced!!! :)
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
NeilPye
My Cars:

Post by NeilPye »

I asked my local Cit dealer goes and I have been taking the car there for about 2 years now, he has a dedicated machine just for 'centre-less' wheels but its never right 1st time..

Yes the spare is the same size and with the flats on for the wheel bolts; I've tried a few scrappies but they only have the wheels fitted to 'lesser' (snob :wink: ) models and even then not a full set. I think they normally come with 185 tyres but I think they are 6J wheels and will take 205s as well. It makes sense as the spare is a 6J but my concern is wether the offset/dish may be different. Cant think why but cant be too careful. Also, would 406 steel wheels be the same????

My dad has the same on his XM Exc.......
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

You may be pleasantly suprised at the cost of replacement steel wheels from Citroen Dealer.... someone I know needed a replacement spare wheel for his 'old' Xantia (different size to the wheels on the car!!!) and found the local Cit Dealer was cheapest quote.
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Our old Xantia 1.9td LX had 195's fitted as i found the Pirelli 6000's a few pounds cheaper in that size and the tyre hieght ratio i kept the same and the speedo was still near bob spot on for such an old car against my GPS and you could feel that tiny bit of extra grip as i did get all 4 wheels done at the same time :)
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

It may be worth while for some of our more technical guys on this forum to get a dimensioned sketch drawn up of a dedicated fixture.... which could them be made up and offered to those requiring one hint hint....
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: Wheel Balancing - Xantia Exclusive

Post by Homer »

NeilPye wrote:Does anyone else have problems getting their Xantia Exclusive Alloys (the ones without a centre hole) balanced properly? Every time I have a new tyre I have to return to the fitters at least twice to rebalance - don't think he likes me anymore!!
Find another fitter but be prepared to leave it with them a few hours. I never had a problem with mine being out of balance.

I had the same trouble with a Fiat Strada, which had centreless steel wheels.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

just had 2 new boots fitted to mothers no balancing worries here.