Fixing Xantia suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smiffy47

Fixing Xantia suspension

Post by smiffy47 »

I have an N reg 1.8i 16v. I recently posted on this forum regarding failed front suspension & using engine oil rather than LHM fluid as an emergency fix. Obviously I now need to sort this out so am looking to overhaul the suspension system. I have only recently purchased this car and A) was not provided with a manual & B) have never owned a Citroen and so am unfamiliar with how to maintain it.
Can anyone point me to a either a good guide on the web or, (probably better), a post on this forum on how to go about sorting my suspension out. I hope there aren't any silly special tools I need.
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

firstly let me welcome you to the world of hydralic supension.
if you are planning on removing/replacing spheres then a proper sphere removal tool is a must, these cost from £20 - £30 & are available from http://www.andyspares.com &
http://www.pleiades.uk.com this is a very handy tool to have (saves a lot of swearing, & sore knuckles!).
also it is a good idea to have a torx bit set, sizes needed are from t5 - t55 i've found my set VERY useful.
dom
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I can remember a bit about this. Presume that there was a leak, hence the use of oil as an emegency.
I'd suggest that firstly, assuming that the leak is sorted, that you start by flushing the system with hydraflush after which you look at whatever you may have suspicions about in the suspension.
For what it's worth, you are dealing with possibly the simplest suspension system that was ever fitted to a motor car, so don't break out in carbunkles at the prospect of servicing it. Neglected, they can cause problems but once the associated problems of that neglect are sorted, you have a very efficient & troublefree hydraulic system that other companies would have killed to get their hands on. The fact they didn't, accounts for a lot of the silly scarey stories about them.
I've had the chance to buy cars with the old fashioned type suspension set ups in, but find them too complicated for my liking.
Doesn't take long to learn to luv 'em.
Just post with the problems & I'm sure between us we'll help you sort them cheaply & easily.
Alan S
smiffy47

Post by smiffy47 »

Ta. I have manual & I have parts & I have flush & I have tools & I am ready to go. It looks very straightforward to do to. Actually quite looking forward 2 it as I escape from Xmas madness for a bit & I'm sure if I talk enough gobbledygook I can get away with a long test drive, LOL. Before I start tho' I'd just like to ask if there's anything specific I should or shouldn't do, (E.G. I notice it says that on some models you should'nt turn steering wheels) or any tips for any tricky bits.
Thanx