td xantia smoke on startup

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

2512Steve
My Cars:

Post by 2512Steve »

pete@co.uk wrote:Thanks guys :)

ive had a look where they are placed the most difficult on mine seems to be no 1 the one behind the diesel pump :shock: that looks a right pain i hope when i test them that one,s ok but sods law says it wont :roll:......

Hi Pete,

Changing glow is generally a pain, no matter which one you're attempting. When I had a BX, I ended up dismantling some of the injector pipes to get at the glow plugs; just remember to bleed the system again if you do this.

quote...
looking at my haynes manual it says there,s a unit there behind the battery that controls the starting system could that also be faulty or am i just jumping the gun....

Yes! I think you are jumping the gun on this one, it's more likely a couple of plugs. But while you are checking, you might as well remove the power feed lead and check that as well (See my posting above).

Regards,
Steve :wink:
(Current) '96 Xantia 1.9TD Est, 148,000 miles
(Past) '89 Peugeot 205 1.9D Hatch
'90 BX1.9D Est x2
'89 BX1.9D Hatch
B4 going diesel:
Vx Ventora 3.3, Victor 3300 Est, Triumph 2000 Est, Jaguar Mk V11M, Ford’s; Cortina Mk 1 1500 x4, Anglia 997
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Steve Slim jeremy and everybody :D

Thanks for everybodys help here well ive so far ive managed to get two of the plugs out one of which was faulty the other was on its way now rain has stopped me carrying on to the other two. The one behind the pump is being a pain at the moment but i will get round it im fitting bru plugs as advised. Now i have another question how i check the power supply lead as advised to the glow plugs and how does it come off if i have to replace it :?

pete...........................
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as you have found duff glow plugs the lead is probably ok
regards malcolm
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Thanks Malcolm

Yes i think your right ill just have to wait till tomorrow to finish the job weather permitting still raining here :roll: ill let you all know how i get on.

Pete...................
Drives
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jeremy wrote:Glow plug controllr is unlikely to be at fault - while you have the plug leads off look at the reading from the wire from the relay. Sorry - you'llhave to change them - maybe this will help?

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/sea ... &x=13&y=15
Looks just the job! anyone tried this tool before I part with my £9.99 to get one? Both my Xantia and SWMBO's 405TD will need new glowplugs very soon..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi citrojim jeremy steve slim and everbody here

i tried to get one of these tools yesterday from my local auto factors and a few other car accessory shops but sadly no avalibilty so im struggling with a 12mm ring spanner but ill get there in the end :roll:. i do have a flexi drive with sockets which im going to try today that may help im trying to get no 1 out. i have 3 and 4 out no 2 dont look that much of a problem as i taken off all the major piping around the top of the engine to gain access to the plugs

pete.....................
Drives
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi guys

Success ive managed to get them done apart from a few cuts and swear words :lol: now my car starts first time without any chugging or smoke :D. Thanks for all your help here guys but for the future id still like to get my hands on one of those glowplug spanners itd make life a lot easer for me if i ever had to do them agian, if not on my present car but one i may have in the future thanks again for a great forum.

pete.........................
Drives
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

pete@co.uk wrote:Hi guys

Success ive managed to get them done apart from a few cuts and swear words :lol: now my car starts first time without any chugging or smoke :D. Thanks for all your help here guys but for the future id still like to get my hands on one of those glowplug spanners itd make life a lot easer for me if i ever had to do them agian, if not on my present car but one i may have in the future thanks again for a great forum.

pete.........................
Well done Pete! You have my admiration 8)

You're looking at someone who will attempt anything on my cars but the thought of changing No.4 glowplug still makes me tremble :roll:

I've ordered my spanner from Screwfix. I will report back.

Now, does anyone know if the glowplugs supplied by GSF (part No. BBGN909) are Beru or good OE spec.

The last thing I want to do is replace them again in a couple of months and the GSF ones seem a bit too keenly priced to be the genuine article :?

Many thanks..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I dont believe they are Beru ones, I purchased mine from GSF and dont recall them being Beru ones, and remember being told

"YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT BERU'S" :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mezuk04 wrote:I dont believe they are Beru ones, I purchased mine from GSF and dont recall them being Beru ones, and remember being told

"YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT BERU'S" :lol:

Have they been OK for you?
Jim

mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Well they were fitted before Xmas and are still going fine, and from memory used the same ones on the Zx nearly 2 years ago now and they seem to be fine still.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mezuk04 wrote:Well they were fitted before Xmas and are still going fine, and from memory used the same ones on the Zx nearly 2 years ago now and they seem to be fine still.
That's good enough for me then!

Many thanks for that..
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Got my Screwfix Glowplug tool today :wink:. This one:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/sea ... &x=13&y=15

And a set of BERU glowplugs from GSF :D

This evening I tested the tool on the Xantia and here is my report.

Firstly it is rubbish for undoing the 8mm electrical connection nuts as the head is too big to sit neatly on the nut. A small ring spanner is best. It was however good for undoing Nos. 1, 2 and 3 glowplugs as it is long and a good bit of steady torque can be applied gently. It's of no use whatsoever for No.4 :evil: as the water manifold above it gets in the way. :roll: A cranked ring spanner is the only tool to use here. Again it's good for putting the new Nos 1, 2 and 3 in but again useless for No. 4.

So, I'd give it 4 out of 10 for effort and I'm not sure it is worth a tenner. A good cranked ring is just as effective.

Three good tips:

Take off the top turbo trunking and remove the bracket that holds the lower turbo trunking onto the cylinder head. This improves access to No.3 no end. It takes about five minutes longer but is worth it. Likewise, slipping off the PCV valve and hose between the oil pot and air filter trunking improves access to No.1.

When taking out and getting the new No. 4 glowplug in, stuff some rag down behind the injector pump because as sure as eggs are eggs, you'll drop your new glowplug down behind the pump shroud on about the 8th attempt to get it in the hole :wink: It's a s*d to retrieve :oops:

When putting the 8mm electrical nuts back on, use a bit of blu-tak to hold the nut on your fingertip because it is a safe bet you'll drop and loose it otherwise :(

Took me an hour to swap them all told and well worth the effort. 8)

Now to do the same job on SWMBO's 405 TD :lol:
Jim

mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

An hour, damn!

Mine took all afternoon, with a trip to the scrappers to find that little bolted on coolant piece next to plug 4, then to fill the radiator up.

8-[

But the blue tac did come in handy!
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi agian guys

Well what i used was a magnet which is part of a little socket set i have with a flexi drive in it, it came in handy for putting the 8 mm nut on top of the no 4 glowplug also i like every body else has i kept dropping the little nut until i employed the magnet but getting no 4 in and out was a pain and took me a while but i succeded but i never thought of using a rag stuffed down in between the pump and engine a good tip there ill remember that one. the whole job in all took me about 3 hours over two days when the british weather took over when i was halfway through the job. (GOT SOAKED) :lol:

thanks agian to all who helped here :D

pete....................
Drives