Key fob distress!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kang0o

Key fob distress!!

Post by kang0o »

Today the remote c/l stopped working :( . I took the key apart and found that the microswitch for lock had snapped off the PCB ( STOOOOPID design!).

If my soldering fails can you buy the PCB's or do you have to purchase a new key at dealer prices?

Can I say again what a stoooooopid design, why don't they have the button on the side of the key, instead of relying on four teensy bits of solder to hold it in place with years of finger jabbing in front of it
'99 Xantia LX estate 2.0HDi Image
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Not sure about later xantias but i went to a breakers and got an old key, took the circuit board out put it in my ke then programmed it into the car, MUCH cheaper than dealers!
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Try Ebay! .... Quite a few available. :)
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
kang0o

Post by kang0o »

Thanks chaps will look into it :D

h2ocooler is it easy to program?
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

There are stacks of threads on here I know cos they helped me do mine. Mine was the earlier infra red type. Can't help with later types but they are mentioned in the threads. Try the search facility
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink
kang0o

Post by kang0o »

Ok I got a key off ebay, I swapped PCB's with my broken key, went through the programming procedure but nothing!
I used the method I found on here ( put key to acc hold plip to roof sensor ect) I aslo tried just about every one of these too just in case.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/_User-fo ... ramming%22

I also struggled to find any form of sensor in the roof, there wasn't any black domes or anything.

Some help please
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

kang0o,

On a 99 car your plip will be radio frequency not infra red. As far as I know the black receiver in the roof panel is for infra red only, so you won't have one.

However! On my XM I have a radio plip AND a black receiver in the roof panel, but when I looked there's nothing in it, it's empty :shock:

I was trying to do the same on my car but when I checked in the book it said switch on the ignition fully then press the plip button for 1 second. It should now work.

It might be worth trying on your Xantia.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
kang0o

Post by kang0o »

Any idea what button this key has two?
The other thing that bothers me is that there isn't any way of telling if the new plip works or not. Unless somebody knows how to test?
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The second button operates the deadlocks.
You can test an IR fob by aiming it at a camcorder or digital camera, which can 'see' the IR light.
However, as Demag says, from your description and the car's age, you almost certainly have an RF remote.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

99 will be RF type, and they can only be programmed by the dealer using the diagnositc computer :twisted: Sorry!
Richard W
kang0o

Post by kang0o »

FFS any idea how much this procedure costs? I could still be quids in as the key cost me 15 squids.

[edit] Richard when you say 'dealer diagnostic equipment' is that citro main dealer or friendly local dealer with diagnostic equip and a liking for a crisp 20 poked in his top pocket?
rowanmoor
My Cars:

Post by rowanmoor »

I only know about the XM RF plip - not the Xantia, but some of this may be of help.

On the XM the plip is paired with the reciever - you have to get the correctly coded one for the reciever (though sometimes you get the set sold on ebay). When ordering a new key from citroen you have to give them the serial number. I have no reason to believe the Xantia is the same though, and what I have read implied that this was an XM only thing for Citroen.

So, hoping that you can reprogram a new plip onto the car, I would have thought that the method would be similar to the method for IR ones (and similar to the re-syncing method for the XM - if the key and car are too far out of sync (unique code each button press I believe) or when the key is new they have to be synchronised). I think the method is probably the same for all Pug/Cit IR/RF as it is the same for my 306 - but I am probably wrong there.

You may have already tried this from demags post - but just to make it as clear as possible - for RF the sequence should be:

Turn ignition to second position.
Press lock/unlock button (not the alarm/deadlock one) for 10s or so (the light should go out after 1s or so - hold the button for longer than the light goes out).
Turn the ignition off and test to see if it works now.

For IR you have to hold it close to the reciever, pointing at the reciever when pressing the button (which means you need a copy key in the ignition). If there are 2 keys then you do 1 then the other before turning the ignition off.
Cheers,
Rowan.
rowanmoor
My Cars:

Post by rowanmoor »

And by the way that procedure is what some dealers will charge you £20 for and tell you that it has to be done by them. Makes it so difficult to work out if it really is a dealer only 'diagnostic computer' thing or not :roll:
Cheers,
Rowan.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

RichardW wrote:99 will be RF type, and they can only be programmed by the dealer using the diagnositc computer :twisted: Sorry!
That's not right, not for a Xantia anyway.

There is a procedure, involving having the key near the ignition and pressing the buttons in a certain order but no diagnostic system is involved.

I dug the following up on th enet a while ago.
ETEKEY FOB PROGRAMMING CITROEN XSARA—XANTIA—SYNERGIE– EVASION CENTRAL DOOR LOCK
(1 BUTTON PLIP KEY) Procedure 1.Ensure all doors are unlocked using the key.
2.Press and hold plip key button until LED stops flashing. 3.After releasing
button, LED will light constantly. 4.Press the Plip Button once, and LED will
extinguish. 5.Open the door and hold the Plip key near the Ignition switch, and
press the plip button one time. 6.Now turn the ignition ON, and wait 10 seconds
then turn ignition OFF. 7.After 5 seconds, Plip should now operate. CENTRAL DOOR
LOCK with DEADLOCKING (2 BUTTON PLIP KEY) Procedure 1.Ensure all doors are
unlocked using the key. 2.Press and HOLD the large plip key button while the LED
flashes con-tinuously for 20 seconds. After 20 seconds press the small deadlock
but-ton once while still holding the large button. 3.The LED will stop flashing.
4.Release the large button and the LED will light constantly. 5.Press the large
button one time, and the LED will go out. 6.Open the door and hold the Plip key
near the Ignition switch, and press the large plip button one time. 7.Now turn
the ignition ON, and wait 10 seconds then turn ignition OFF. 8.After 5 seconds,
Plip should now operate.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Non of those procedures work for me :(

Spare key in the ignition to the run postition, then other remote fob held to reciever in roof with button depressed for 10seconds.
remove key from ignition and try to lock doors, no luck :(

When you try and lock the doors do you have to be outside the car or can you do it from inside the car still??

2 dead fobs here so nothing is actually coded into the system and the batteries went flat in btoh fobs :( Also does the siren need to be turned on under the bonnet?