Xantia dash mostly not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stoofer

Xantia dash mostly not working

Post by stoofer »

Hi, 1st post, w00t!

I have just bought a 98 R reg Mk 2 xantia to repair and put back on the road after it had a minor front impact (bumper, bonnet and headlights casualties.)

apart from the obvious bodywork, it appears that only the coolant temperature works on the dash. I have ABS and AIR BAG lights on (the airbags were not triggered in its accident), the tacho and speedo do not work. when ignition is turned, there is a spanner on the mileometer, which vanishes after a short time when the mileage comes on. I have checked the fuses after seeing that 'F2' in the manual is for 'instrumentation', and it appears to be ok.

any ideas what I can look at? the headlamps and sidelights are missing from the car at the moment, but I wouldnt have thought that could cause any problems?

many thanks for looking, more thanks if you have ideas :D
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Maybe a main connector got seperated in the impact!!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Xantia dash mostly not working

Post by wheeler »

stoofer wrote:I have ABS and AIR BAG lights on (the airbags were not triggered in its accident)

Have the seatbelt pre-tensioners fired ? (the seatbelt stalks will be pulled down about 2 inches) these cant deploy independently of the airbags in less serious impacts.
stoofer

Post by stoofer »

f00lzz wrote:Maybe a main connector got seperated in the impact!!
the car rolled off a driveway and hit another stationary vehicle, the resulting damage is very light... I will try tracing wirees, but I doubt they'd come apart from an impact like this or they'd just fall apart all the time naturally :)
stoofer

Re: Xantia dash mostly not working

Post by stoofer »

wheeler wrote:
stoofer wrote:I have ABS and AIR BAG lights on (the airbags were not triggered in its accident)

Have the seatbelt pre-tensioners fired ? (the seatbelt stalks will be pulled down about 2 inches) these cant deploy independently of the airbags in less serious impacts.
I guess that's a possibility, but Im hoping for a '1 fault fixes all' really, as it seems odd for all of these dashboard items to fail independantly? the car is at work so I cant check the pre-tensioners till tomorrow.

Im off outside to take parts off my other xantia to fix up this one with now so I'll check back later - thanks for the replies so far :)
stoofer

Post by stoofer »

having had another look today, the tacho isnt reading 0, it appears to have spun all the way round to max and got stuck there. so now Im thinking possible very dodgy earth?
RStacey
My Cars:

Post by RStacey »

If its a Mk 2 you might find the main wiring loom runs across the front of the lower cross member behind the bumper and not at the back of the cross menber as is usual in earlier cars - if the bumper is damaged it might be worth checking the loom as its not got as much protection.
1999 Xantia HDi Exclusive
2003 C5 HDi SX
1995 Xantia 1.9TD
1994 Xantia 1.9D
stoofer

Post by stoofer »

thanks, Ill have a look at that before I go home tonight.

its currently a red Mk 2 (with my green Mk1 front end on)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The loom that RStacey refers to is also prone to corrosion. Its in a trunking which unfortunately can fill with water wheic . . . corroded the thing!
jeremy
stoofer

Post by stoofer »

that loom is under the radiator... I guess if its there then inspecting it is going to be a royal pain?
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Take my advise and wear some goggles..... when I tried to examine mine I reckon all the accumulated muck flicked into my eyes.
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
RStacey
My Cars:

Post by RStacey »

If its like mine and runs behind the bumper it will be fairly clean and dry - its much better protected than the looms that run under the radiator.
1999 Xantia HDi Exclusive
2003 C5 HDi SX
1995 Xantia 1.9TD
1994 Xantia 1.9D
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Perhaps they modified it for the HDi.... mine was coated with muck..
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
stoofer

Post by stoofer »

its under the radiator and surprisingly... very clean and tidy :)

I went for a drive around the works car park, and at above about 10mph the speedo will spring to life, although it seems a bit optimistic of my speeds (indicated 30 when I believe I was doing 15 max, I can check with a GPS device later...)

which leaves me with ABS light on and a flashing AIR BAG light to sort out for the MOT (Ive been driving cable tachoed citroens and pugeots for a while now, I can live without a rev counter ;) )...
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Regarding the AirBag light, have you checked the security of the cable blocks underneath the drivers seat. These sometimes need to be pulled apart and cleaned a little or just pushed more securely.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(