Xantia height corrector

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Welshwoman

Xantia height corrector

Post by Welshwoman »

A lot of differing opinions it seems, reading through the threads on suspension etc.

Our Xantia HDI estate is sitting down at the back and will not get up. Front operates normally on height lever, LHM levels are OK. No leakage, no cracked pipes that I can see. Managed (with great difficulty!) to get it up onto ramps to inspect the rear end. I have no technical knowledge whatsoever, although we've had Citroens for years (3BX's and 2 Xantias) and are aware of what happens in the hydropneumatic suspension. Also had a lot of problems over the years, some due to faulty workmanship.

Recently had 3 new spheres on the rear as it was bouncing, and they made little difference. Now this!

Car also creaked and groaned when the rear end went up and down. Could be the height corrector complaining?

The plastic link is intact and secure, but the height corrector looks very rusty. I've thoroughly sprayed with WD40 (someone else told me not to do that), left it for an hour and then tried to raise and lower the suspension again. No luck. I'm happy to give it another try, but if that fails I now haven't a clue. Do I replace the height corrector or not. Do I replace the plastic link? (Depends on which thread one reads) Or, could the problem be an air lock, possibly created when the spheres were changed? Or something else? It wasn't noticeable that the brakes were any different, (but then we were going at a snail's pace afterwards, trying to get home without damage.) It happened after braking suddenly, however.

One point that has confused me: One message said the height corrector never needed replacing on the anti-sink models, but was a common fault on others. I presume ours, and our previous one, is anti-sink? It stays at a sensible level with the engine off? Am I wrong, but I thought the height corrector was for this very purpose, so all the other models referred to don't have one anyway? So in theory it never needs replacing. :cry:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The most likely cause is that the height corrector linkage is stuck. Several applications of WD 40 may be necessary. Otherwise it could be a faulty height corrector although very unusual. The only other thing I can think of is that the clamp on the anti roll bar that sets the height has moved, but thats also unlikely.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Peter N said seised linkage is 99% of the time all that is wrong,MIND SUPPORT THE CAR PROPERLY WHEN WORKING UNDER HYDRAULIC CITROENS as they are very dangerous,also the hight corector dose not normaly rust as it is aluminium and are usual very reliable,the only prob that sometimes ocures with the H/C is it becomes full of sludge
regards malcolm
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i had the same problem on mine the linkage was free so it must have been the corrector it's self, probably just full of sludge ended up getting a recon one fitted as i didn't have the time to strip it down, cost me about £95.00 all in to have it replaced :)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hmm,

Where to begin... finding this sort of problem can be a bit tricky as there are a lot of things it could be, and when the suspension is fully depressurized (either end) it takes a long time for it to pressurize enough to even START lifting, so its easy to set the height lever up, and not wait long enough for anything to happen. (Remember a fully depressurized anti-sink model takes 2-3 minutes of idling to lift)

Ok, so heres what I'd do - assuming you still have it backed up onto stands so you can safely work under the rear of the car without getting squashed.... remove the spare wheel carrier if you havn't already, then you'll have plenty of room to work.

Then uncouple the white plastic linkage, so we can isolate the manual and automatic height correction.

Now get an assistant to move the lever between the 3 main positions (down, normal, up) while you watch the linkages move - refer to the top part of this diagram:

http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 366100.gif

Although obscured in that picture there is a kind of slotted peg arrangement and in the normal height position it should be in the middle so that the override linkage coming in at the bottom doesn't foul the movement of the height corrector.

In both extreme positions it should force the height corrector one way or the other. If you get someone to move the lever for you (do it with the engine off) you should be able to see the link going into the height corrector move about 5mm either way. There may also be a delay of a few seconds as it move slowly.

If that seems to be happening, try setting the height lever to maximum and let the car idle for at least 3 minutes and see if it will lift. If it does at least you know there isn't a hydraulic problem.

If you dont see it moving you need to check the spring assemblies and make sure they can move... note that both springs are very strong especially the one that goes to the plastic link, you may have difficulty moving it without some leverage.

What to do next depends on what you find out so far...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Welshwoman

Post by Welshwoman »

Thanks Simon. You've given a very clear idea of what to do. Now all I need to do is DO it! I've tried to get the plastic link off, and failed, so far. No doubt I'm not giving it enough force. (I'm so afraid of making matters worse, if that's possible.) However, before I read your message, with help, I'd watched the linkage whilst the lever was taken through the heights, after several doses of WD40, mainly to see if anything moved, and if so, how, so that I could understand the mechanics a bit better. The linkage moved, and so did the height corrector, very slightly at one point. Trouble is I'm not sure where the lever was at that moment. I couldn't see any movement in the springs, and am unsure how to tackle those, if that's what's needed. Leverage you say? With something like the universal tool - screwdriver? to try and prise the coils apart? Or, if the HC is moving, are the springs OK? If the movement is so slight then I might not have noticed it. Can't watch all the parts at once. I'd hoped that we might get some movement in the rear after that, but no. Gave it 5 minutes to rise, but nothing. The front is still working fine.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you dont need to prize the coils apart as all the springs do it apply load to the mechanisum the return it to its normal ride level position,but i have seen the linkage components siesed up solid as in normal running the movement is very slight,it only moves to it ferthest points when the lever in side the car is moved to its ferthest points either way
regards malcolm
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Car also creaked and groaned when the rear end went up and down. Could be the height corrector complaining?
That sounds more like rear arm bearings, which can certainly influence the ride.
Is there any sign of uneven wear on the rear tyres, or visible 'leaning' of the rear wheels?
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Hi Welshwoman.

Can I sujjest that you read this thread, it has some piccies of what you are dealing with.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=

Personally and I have done a hell of a lot of these, I think that you need to grit your teeth and replace the rear height corrector.

Most common problem on the Xantia. Front is fine but the rear sits on the floor, sometimes can be coaxed all the way up and all the way down but will not settle in normal driving height.

Cure 100% Fit a new height corrector, in it's cradle.

Regards
Slim
Welshwoman

Post by Welshwoman »

Hi Slim.

Yes, I did read all of that, and looked at the pictures. As the plastic link was intact, I had hoped it was just the linkage needing greasing, but now, after 3 days of WD40 and Citrobics galore - the linkage is moving, as is the height corrector (which didn't happen to begin with.) But, the car is still sitting down and refusing to budge, so I had come to the conclusion that the height corrector will have to be replaced, as you had said. Can't think what else it could be. I have no idea if the brakes feel odd, as there has been no call to use them since it happened! The speed home, avoiding damage, did not require any braking!

Maybe we were lucky with our other Xantia (P reg TD) as it hasn't been a problem. This one had done a lot of motorway miles when we bought it. Well serviced, BUT. I reckon all the salt and spray on the motorway must have caused the trouble, not, as someone else suggested, tongue in cheek, that we'd been keeping it in the sea!

Now the big problem is getting it out from here to the garage for repair, without damage. I think we were very lucky getting it home. It has to traverse a rough track, and then a lot of lanes, where, if one meets another vehicle, we're stuck. The tow truck cannot get near. I am totally unable to replace the height corrector. The link was a possibility, but now, it's over to the experts if we can get it there.

I'd like to thank all you guys out there for your assistance: It made me bolder than I would have otherwise been, and prepared to tackle, what to you, is a simple job. Just a shame it wasn't a simple answer.

Regards,

Anita