Replacing ZX discs and pads

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Elwyn
My Cars:

Replacing ZX discs and pads

Post by Elwyn »

I am about to replace the discs and pads on my P reg ZX 1.9D Leader. Is it going to be straight forward or are there things I should look out for? I have replaced the same on a BX many years ago!!!! Thanks for any help.
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, it was a piece of p1ss, even though I'm no mechanical genius. The worst part was getting the caliper (sp?) bolts out. I found that bracing my hand on the wheel arch and pressing the ratchet with my foot was the best (and least painful) method.

You will also need a relatively narrow spanner to prevent the caliper post from rotating when you take it apart to put the new pads in.

One last thing, keep an eye on the pad wear sensor wires when you fit the pads, it seems quite easy to get the wire caught between the pad and the disc or pad and caliper.

It shouldn't take you more than an hour or so.

Pete
French car free zone....
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Most ZX have the Bendix caliper which is very simple to service. Pads are held in bt the strange plate at the top which must be pulled out towards you having removed the little locking clip. Pads are then pulled out and the brake disc screws undone (an impact driver is handy here). Disc shopuld then fall off - but may need some persuasion.

Make sure the hub face is clean before fitting the new disc (some people like to oil or grease the face to prevent corrosion but make sure it doesn't stop the disc seating properly) and re-aasemble.
jeremy
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

BTW my comments are valid only if you have Girling calipers...
French car free zone....
Elwyn
My Cars:

Post by Elwyn »

Thanks for the very useful info -I'll get down to it this week. One point, how can I tell which callipers are fitted to the car (Girling- Bendix)?
Elwyn

2005 Picasso
1996 ZX
1980 Dyane - still going strong
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Elwyn wrote:Thanks for the very useful info -I'll get down to it this week. One point, how can I tell which callipers are fitted to the car (Girling- Bendix)?
Haynes manual or call up citroen with your VIN and they'll be able to tell you, also the brand should be on the cap off the fluid reservoir (well it is on mine)

hope this helps
  ...:::CITROENZX:::...
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

also, forgot to say the doing the pads and disks is very easy. Just give the carrier bolts a firm wack if they dont start coming undone as they should be threadlocked!

Have fun :wink:
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Thats some damn handy pics there Anders!!
Wish mine were that shiney :P