AX Radio cassette

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

I got a reply from Cit head office. They say I need a radio code.
Well I have to say that's impressive advice seeing as I don't get the word CODE or ERROR appear on the display and I do have the code!

I'm wondering if this radio needs a bit more ooomph than the old one (it has 4x10w compared with 2x9). Presumably the circuit must have a fuse so maybe changing that for a higher one would work. Does that make sense to anybody or I am barking up the wrong tree?

1996 1l petrol AX Debut 3 door, near Slough, UK
1996 Citroen AX Debut and 2001 Citroen Saxo.

I love Citroens!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

An inadequate power supply will not stop the radio working at all. What will happen is that it just won't sound as good and won't attain full power. My 4 X 40 watt one sounds fine on inadequate speakers and wiring - until I turn the volume up when the speakers start distorting . . . But its loud enough for me!

Some amplifiers go beserk if a load isn't connected to all the speakers. I would have thought a car radio would have had some form of protection - ie electronic - somewhere but it could even be in the form of a fuse inside the case. It may be worth carefully taking the case apart annd having a good look. As I have said before my Shark one was stable in the BX with front and rear speaker wiring - even with a dead speaker - but needs re-setting in the ZX with only front speakers. I have an old Hi Fi amplifier which is the same - no speakers or wire - fuse blows. Wires seem to stabilise it - presumably due to induction between the parallel cables or something.

The effect of induction between parallel cables reminds me of when I started my metal fabrication company many years ago. We got a large arc welder with long cables and in an attempt to be tidy - taped them together. The heavy duty electric supply would regularily trip out - and eventually I twigged that induction could be the problem, cut the tapes, speread the leads apart and the problem was solved.
jeremy
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

There is a fuse on the radio. Shall I change that?

As I said I hadn't disconnected the battery when installing it so could have blown the fuse. I don't know whether the led light coming on when the headlights comes on is a red herring or just a warning something isn't right. I really want a good simple installation manual with troubleshooting in it! Unfortunately Phillips customer care don't care and gave me a phone number for Siemens!

I love Citroens!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Either change the fuse or check it for continuity. Its probably a simple wire in glass tube type - in which case if it conducts - its OK. Always worth wriggling them around as sometimes the ends corrode a bit and cause problems.
jeremy
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

I've found the radio was duff. I wired it correctly, fuses all OK. With this radio after the radio code is entered incorrectly so many times it dies.

However I've been back to ebay picked up a brand new Goodmans GCE740 radio cassette for pennies, wired it up in 2 minutes (although had to buy an ISO aerial adapter from Halfords for £3 and this took 100 of the 120 seconds to fix in!). Its working perfectly adequately, but I cannot get the metal slider to stay in the slot so the unit keeps slipping forward.

Anyone any experience in fixing this? Would some no-nails glue hold it in place?

PS Oh the relief of having some music on driving to work! I was going quite mad without it!

I love Citroens!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'm not sure of the AX layout but the general fitting system is Radio, sleeve - normally supplied with the radio, then a fascia or something.

The sleeve should engage with the teeth on the side of the radio (and may need special tools to remove by depressing the clips). In turn the sleeve is secured in the fascia by bending tabs round its side.

Sounds like you don't have the sleeve. The problem with glue is that you may need to get it out again.

Most radios have a boss or 2 for support straps to be bolted to. Maybe you can bolt it in with something to fasten it to the car. The normal support straps are slotted metal strip about 10mm wide and 1.5 thick.

If you have the sleeve etc it may be the teeth have bent inwards. the are on the side of the set and may need levering out. All radio metal seems to be incredibly soft (a design feature to minimise magnetic fields?) - and so what looks like a flat spring seems to bend very easily.
jeremy