AX Radio cassette

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Too low an impedance would occur if you wired up say 4 ohm speakers to an amplifier that required 8 ohm speakers or paralleled up several speakers on the same output.

What it means in real terms is that a low impedance, like a low resistance will allow a larger current to flow for a given voltage - generally leading to overheating and perhaps failure of unprotected output transistors. Many are protected these days - particularly if they use integrated power amplifier modules.
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

Ross_K wrote:Unless it was specifically advertised as an AX radio, there's not much eBay are gonna do.
This is the description it was sold under:
Ebay wrote: Description Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.

Item Specifics - Car In-Dash Audio
Type:
Cassette-Radio
Number of Preamplifier Outputs: --
Manufacturer:
Car Manufacturer
Number of Discs Per Magazine: --

Brand: Citroën
Unit Size: --

Model: 6564AO
RMS Wattage per Channel: --

Number of Channels: 2-Channel
Condition: Used

Features:
--
Genuine Citroen Radio Cassette

Basic model with just radio/cassette output no pre outs etc.

Fit straight in to any Citroen, brough to go into an AX but never fitted so in brand new condition with contectors, but no wiring or manual.
Well I suppose it gives a model number. But described as bought to go in an AX ...
1996 Citroen AX Debut and 2001 Citroen Saxo.

I love Citroens!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

AX_Man wrote:It looks like its originally come from a Citoren garage as its all boxed in a Genuine Citroen parts box. So a very naughty naughty Citroen garage somewhere!
Whoever had the picasso has probably upgraded to a CD player & put the cassete player back in the original box to sell it.
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

Thanks for your tips guys.

The ebay seller has agreed for a return and refund.

Meantime I have bought a basic radio cassette (from a Pug 206) that should fit (as I've the cd version in the saxo) for £12 inc P&P!

Hopefully it will arive tomorrow and fit nice and easily ...

I love Citroens!
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

I am having no joy whatsoever. :cry:

The radio above they hadn't sent the radio code and it can't be hacked. It would cost at least £25 from a dealer.

However another one came up again, cheap and this time I made sure that a radio code was supplied. They say it came from a Berlingo and it exactly matches my Saxo one, a Phillips 22RC200/35.

I have taken the old radio out, destroying it in the process due to the lovely springs holding it in its cage.

I have put the new one in, and connected the ISO plugs in and the aerial and nothing. No light, no request for the code, no nothing. I turned the engine on and the same.

Any suggestions? I thought that ISO plugs were supposed to be great that you just unlugged and plugged back in. Do I need to disconnect the battery?

I love Citroens!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Perhaps it was for sale as it doesn't work!

Has it got a reset button - possibly hidden through a hole? - worth having a look - I have one on my Shark set - under the swing down fascia and I can feel a switch if I prod it. If its connected it needs to be held down for several seconds. Strangely disconnecting the battery doesn't re-set it but pulling the plug off the back does!
jeremy
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

They said In very good condition and excellent working order.

No reset button. I'll bring my kit to disconnect battery tomorrow lunchtime and give that a go. I hope that fixes it and I don't have to fanny around regrounding it.

PS What is the Shark like? I had thought about that from Maplins (while they sold them) but didn't like the tuning dial or low 2 x 7 output (although the one I've taken out was 2 x 9). I wish I'd got that and then I'd have none of the problems I've with stuff bought off ebay :(

I love Citroens!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Mine's 4 x 40 watt with an MP3 player - which gives about 8 to 10 hrs per disc and makes random play etc worth having.

Works nicely but is unstable in the ZX at the moment as it has no rear speakers - and so it keeps loosing its settings. Instructions are in best translator's english - but seem similar to others like Goodmans which can be downloaded which helps a bit when I can be bothererd.
jeremy
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

I noticed last night driving home with the headlights on the little light came on the radio so I am thinking connection is good, can't be battery but maybe the ISO blocks are wired differently in the AX and Saxos (This radio is the one that was fitted standard in Saxos). This morning no headlights, no little light.
I've got the manuals of the AX and the Saxo this morning.

On the AX the "A" ISO block is:
A1-
A2-
A3-
A4 (+) Permanent live
A5 -
A6 (+) Sidelamps
A7 (+) Ignition controlled
A8: Earth

On the Saxo:
A1-
A2-
A3-
A4 (+) accessories (What are these?)
A5 -
A6 (+) Sidelamps
A7 (+) Permanent
A8: Earth

If I carefully swap A4 and A7 around will it work? What are the Saxo's accessories? In the Saxothe radio works without the ignition being on. I do know A6 is working fine!

I love Citroens!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Is the 'Accessories' terminal to power an electric aerial? In which case it may be a '+' output terminal rather than a feed.

You get some strange connections like 'alt gr' which may be something to do with muting for phones.

I'm surprised at a modern set being permanently on rather than on the ignition unless its got a proper on/off click type switch.

Like you I thought with ISO connections all fitting problems would be over!
jeremy
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

Stupid question but how do you get the wires out od the ISO plug?

I love Citroens!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

AX MAN,our plant machines all have ISO connectors on the stereos(12V).I carry a spare radio as some are useless in the machines i drive.On some of the machines my radio works fine,on other machines,i have to join the yellow wire from the radio ISO harness,to the red wire on the radio ISO harness in order for the unit to work.Something to do with permanant lives etc.
You may find a similar problem on yours,as per your ISO description above.Swapping/joining the wires may solve it.
Dont blame me though if anything goes wrong :D :wink:
Works on my machines though :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

My problem is it looks like the cables are crimped in and don't want to pull out. I could cut the 2 cables further up and connect using terminal block which might be easier. What amp terminal block would I use? I'm guessing 1 might be OK.

PS Its all well and good saying crossing yellow and red cables, mine are all the same colour (a pastelly colour I think - but I'm also colour blind :( )

I love Citroens!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Usually terminals are held into terminal blocks by little metal tags which open out into recesses in the plug. You can sometimes get them out if you can see and compress the tag to get it past its trap.

If the thing is 7 watts per channel - that's a max theoretical output of 14 watts which is 1 1/6 amps. Nothing is 100% efficient so the set will consume something as well. When specifying something like this you should always allow something for luck. I don't know the rating of what is available.
jeremy
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

I'm near dispair now and fed up driving with no music.

I've managed to change the A4 and A7 around with some 3 amp terminal block. However it still doesn't work. In desparation I rang Broads of Watford (Cit. dealer near my work) to see if they have any suggestions and told someone would ring me back. 4 hours later I had a call saying my car was ready to collect. The only problem is they didn't have my car!

Who would have an installation guide to these radios as they were the standard fitted? Shall I just write to Citroen HQ in Slough? Or is there a website that might have it as a pdf?